Jettadan1
Jettadan1, Chevy Technician
Experience:  Most of our fleet is chevy.
17254274

Chevrolet Silverado 1500 The brake power booster is bad on

The brake power booster is bad on my 1995 Silverado. I have the master cylinder off and the 4 nuts off of the booster on the inside of the firewall. I can not see or feel how to release the booster rod from the brake pedal.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Jettadan1 replied 3 years ago.

Jettadan1 :

Hello, I am Daniel. I may ask you questions, to better answer you. Please let me know if you have any other questions before you Accept.

Jettadan1 :

Certain general service procedures apply, regardless of whether the brakes are vacuum or hydraulically assisted. Only top quality, clean brake fluidshould be used. More seals and valves are used with power brake systems than with ordinary brakes, so an inferior brake fluid will do much more damage. For the same reason, be sure all dirt is kept out of the system. Additionally, on models with hydraulic assist brakes, care must be taken not to mix the fluids of the booster hydraulic systemand brake hydraulic system as the fluids are not compatible.

If the power unit fails, the brakes will still operate, as the conventional brake system is left intact and a power unit is simply added to the existing system. Troubleshooting is then exactly the same up to the power unit. As with conventional hydraulic brakes, a spongy pedal with power brakes is caused by air in the system and grease on the linings will cause the brakes to grab. However, power brakes develop higher line pressure, thus making leaks more critical.

Power units do not require adjustment. If there is a problem, the various valves and connections are simply replaced. The only exception is that the power units themselves sometimes have an adjustable connection to the brake pedal or linkage.

Jettadan1 :

I am bringing you some help

Jettadan1 :

one second

Jettadan1 :

click here you will have to take pin off from inside

Jettadan1 :
  • Remove brake pedal pushrod retainer and disconnect pushrod from pin.
  • Jettadan1 :

If you need anything else I am here for you

Customer:

Can you pull the power booster rod close enough to the engine side of the firewall to release the booster rod from the brake pedal? I can not see or feel the pin from inside the cab.

Jettadan1 :

you may have to use needle nose pliers if you can someone pushing on brake pedal would help. other wise yoiu will have to get at it from inside

Jettadan1 :

looking for leverage

Jettadan1, Chevy Technician
    Experience: Most of our fleet is chevy.