Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE Master, L1, 32 years, Diagnostic / Electrical Specialist

2005 chevy malibu: getting power..power to fuel pump..kill switch

Not getting power to fuel pump on 2005 chev malibu 2.2L. Is there a kill switch? where is it located?

Tracer :

Hello, My name isXXXXX will do my best to assist you with your question

Tracer :

No, GM has not used a fuel pump kill switch like other makes. The fuel pump relay is controlled by the PCM. If pump fuse ok. relay ok, then you could very well have a failed PCM with bad internal fuel pump driver. Here is the circuit

Full Size Image

car would not fire, would turn. Mechanic sprayed starter fluid into air intake and car started for a few seconds. mechanic diagnosed as fuel pump. replaced fuel pump. engine ran that day and the next . then stalled again and acted as before. Mechanic checked power supply to pump and found that there is no electric current reaching fuel pump. check pump with battery. works fine.

Tracer :

I would triple check the fuel pump fuse, maybe get another relay. Lets hope the pump did not backfeed the PCM and damage it. I am thinking relay or fuse