Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

2001 cavalier no fire on coil pack 1/4 but coil pack 2/3 dose

Customer Question

Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dan replied 3 years ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm here to help get your problem resolved. Ask follow up questions, thanks.

This most likely means the ignition module has failed. Swap the coils around to see if the other coil works in 2/3 position if both coils work on 2/3 position then replace ignition module.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
the ICM been changed the crank,cam,temp, sensors been changed the ignition been changed and the ECM was changed and got good fuel presser the 1 and 4 coil was replaced with a new coil and the compression is good the engine only 3 weeks old less then 500 miles on it
Expert:  Dan replied 3 years ago.
There is a white and a orange wires that go between the ignition module and the ecm....One is for 2/3 and one is for 1/4. Considering everything has been changed you either have a wire/connector problem on one of these two wires.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
what wire is 1 and 4 on is that the white one
Expert:  Dan replied 3 years ago.
I'm not sure as its not shown in any documentation but I believe the white is for 1/4...You will need to test both to see which one is missing signal.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
well the white one did not have continuity that why im asking

Expert:  Dan replied 3 years ago.
If the white one did does not have continuity between ignition module and ecm then wire will need to be fixed/replaced.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
sorry had a fire call that had to goto I will have to try that tomorrow and thanks for your time dan my name is XXXXX XXXXX let you know how it work out
Expert:  Dan replied 3 years ago.
Sounds good, let me know if you run into questions. Thanks.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Well cheek the wire and it is getting power the red and black wire you have any idea what that one dose
Expert:  Dan replied 3 years ago.
You need to check the white and orange wires for signal.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
hey dan well the white wire did have continuity and all the wires going to the ICM I'm really at a loss on this one no idea where to go from here just spent most of the day going trow all the wire in the engine area
Expert:  Dan replied 3 years ago.
If your sure the white wire is good then check the orange wire again......Otherwise the problem is either the ignition module or the pcm.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
the orange check out and the PCM or ECM what ever they call it was change out it just wired that it will start right up on 2-3 coil with nothing from the 1-4 side
Expert:  Dan replied 3 years ago.
Check the signal on the orange and white wires to see which one doesnt have signal.....Then on that wire check signal at the pcm if no signal replace pcm again assuming connector is good.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yeah will have to try monday but for now time to have a good weekend lol I'll send a text then hope you have a good weekend
Expert:  Dan replied 3 years ago.
Let me know if you run into questions, thanks.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
hey dan sorry it been so long but i got the cavalier running all i got to say is this one for the record books lol. it ended being the ground to the coil packs was bad the water jacket was panted and the battery was moved to the trunk of the car so the ground from the battery is in the trunk and the ICM was getting so hot do to the fact it was trying to pull ground threw the chase and the normal ground was at the top bolt on the transmission so we fix that buy running a wire from the ground side of the battery to the plate it self and did a ground kit to the engine bay and we put a new ICM in after we did all the grounding to the car turn the key on and she stated right up so now on to the other problem the head lights and wiper not work or turning on what you thinking it is
Expert:  Dan replied 3 years ago.
Happy to hear its running like it should..pink wire going to headlights has alot of issues around battery tray.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yea the battery not there any more and did cheek the wiring there no lights at all and wipers don't work nether I'm wondering if is the relay dose the one in the fuse box the one or is there another one under the dash
Expert:  Dan replied 3 years ago.
Sounds like you may have more ground issues.At the headlight switch check the black wire for good gorund if not run a new one.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yea and it gos on lol I will try that in the morning
Expert:  Dan replied 3 years ago.