GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.
10949255

Chevrolet Malibu I have a 2000 Malibu it wont turn over.

Customer Question

I have a 2000 Malibu it won't turn over. the battery is good I also put my battery booster on it and still won't crank. I pulled the starter out and put power to it, it worked just fine the gear engaged and spun, I put it back in the car still nothing, no power to the purple wire, (smaller one). I turned the ignition switch on then used a jumper wire from the larger wire from the battery to the smaller post, it started right up. ran fine and was able to drive it as long as i wanted. came back home and shut it off. then it wouldn't turn over. All the fuses are good. tried putting it in neutral, nothing. I tried to slam it in park nothing. the security light wasn't on. the transmission position indicator shows the correct position. what should i do short of burning it.
Submitted: 3 years ago via GreatAutoHelp.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 3 years ago.

GM Tech (Cam) :

Hello, I'm Cam. Please include all the details about your issue so I can accurately advise you. I cannot see your vehicle so please be detailed.

GM Tech (Cam) :

Is the security light flashing?

Customer :

no it is not

GM Tech (Cam) :

Does the starter relay click when you try to start?

Customer :

I haven't found a relay that is marked starter. It will start if i jump the starter

GM Tech (Cam) :

What is your VIN?

Customer :

just a minute and i'll look

GM Tech (Cam) :

OK

Customer :

1G1NE52J6Y615629

GM Tech (Cam) :

There is a numberm issing.

Customer :

ok i'll look again

Customer :

you were right there is a 5 at the end. i had to look in a different spot

GM Tech (Cam) :

can you post the whole thing again Adding a 5 still does nto work so there is a typo in there somewhere.

Customer :

1G1NE52J6Y615629

Customer :

SORRY I FORGOT THE 5 AT THE END

Customer :

1G1NE52J6Y6156295

GM Tech (Cam) :

Ok, does it have a relay mounted by the rad near the battery/

Customer :

it doesn't look like most relays but there is something there.

GM Tech (Cam) :

OK, loose with 4 wires to it?

Customer :

Crap it just started raining and lighting out and i don't have a garage. so it may take me awhile to test anything. I'll run out and look. I have this crazy car torn apart. I have the dash apart, the fuse box open in the back, the park switch off the car and lots of wires disconnected. I was trying to trace the wire that went to the starter. so i may have to put some things back together before we can finish this. sorry

GM Tech (Cam) :

Bookmark this page so you can easily navigate back to it, and so you know, you can reply at any time for follow up information regarding this issue, even after you accept my answer and I will reply.

Customer :

the only relay looking thing has 11 wires one larger and ten smaller it has a number stamped on the top "PED 1-12 M6"

GM Tech (Cam) :

That is not a relay.

Customer :

I didn't think so it is located behind the battery on the left inner fender

GM Tech (Cam) :

ok, no relay. So next, at the ignition switch, is there power at the yellow wire, thick in start?

Customer :

it will take awhile for to find that out. it may even be late tonight or tomorrow.

GM Tech (Cam) :

OK, reply after, but all I ask is that you don't forget. Accepting is the only means of compensation for my time assisting you

Customer :

I'll not forget I understand fully and it is good to have someone to talk to. I'll will be using you in the future as well. It seems that they don't want to answer any questions anywhere else. I tried face to face here but, nope. Thanks

GM Tech (Cam) :

That is what I am here for.

Customer :

well i'm back i just tested the yellow wire and it didn't have power, but then tested it a couple of more times just to make sure. on the third check the power was there and it started. so i shut it off and restarted it ten more times and on the tenth time no power and no start. i've checked it ten more times and still no power. and no the theft light isn't flashing.

Customer :

anyone, anyone, Buler

Customer :

I also did a continuity check of the purple wire from the starter to the park switch and the yellow wire from the park switch to the ignition switch and they passed. there is power to the park switch at the brown wire.

Customer :

the park indicator in the instrument panel does show the correct shifter position and the revers lights work when i place it in revers even when the car won't start.

Customer :
GM Tech (Cam) says:
6/15/11 2:00 PM

6/15/11 2:00 PM

Is the security light flashing?

Customer says:
6/15/11 2:02 PM

no it is not

GM Tech (Cam) says:
6/15/11 2:02 PM

Customer says:
6/15/11 2:03 PM

GM Tech (Cam) says:
6/15/11 2:04 PM

What is your VIN?

Customer says:
6/15/11 2:04 PM

just a minute and i'll look

GM Tech (Cam) says:
6/15/11 2:05 PM

OK

Customer says:
6/15/11 2:06 PM

1G1NE52J6Y615629

GM Tech (Cam) says:
6/15/11 2:11 PM

There is a numberm issing.

Customer says:
6/15/11 2:12 PM

ok i'll look again

6/15/11 2:16 PM

GM Tech (Cam) says:
6/15/11 2:18 PM

Customer says:
6/15/11 2:24 PM

1G1NE52J6Y615629

6/15/11 2:25 PM

SORRY I FORGOT THE 5 AT THE END

6/15/11 2:25 PM

1G1NE52J6Y6156295

GM Tech (Cam) says:
6/15/11 2:26 PM

Customer says:
6/15/11 2:28 PM

GM Tech (Cam) says:
6/15/11 2:30 PM

OK, loose with 4 wires to it?

Customer says:
6/15/11 2:33 PM

GM Tech (Cam) says:
6/15/11 2:35 PM

Customer says:
6/15/11 2:38 PM

GM Tech (Cam) says:
6/15/11 2:39 PM

That is not a relay.

Customer says:
6/15/11 2:41 PM

GM Tech (Cam) says:
6/15/11 2:42 PM

Customer says:
6/15/11 2:43 PM

GM Tech (Cam) says:
6/15/11 2:45 PM

Customer says:
6/15/11 2:48 PM

GM Tech (Cam) says:
6/15/11 2:50 PM

That is what I am here for.

Customer says:
6/17/11 12:22 PM

6/18/11 12:51 PM

anyone, anyone, Buler

6/18/11 1:00 PM

6/18/11 2:02 PM