JOHN aka Eauto
JOHN aka Eauto, The Car Guy
Experience:  ase tech
6149662

Chevrolet Silverado 1500 hOW DO YOU REMOVE THE IGNITION CYLINDER

hOW DO YOU REMOVE THE IGNITION CYLINDER FROM A 1998 CHEVY SILVERADO 1500 5.7 V8?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  JOHN aka Eauto replied 3 years ago.
Hi . Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer.

IGNITION LOCK CYLINDER REPLACEMENT - ON VEHICLE

REMOVAL PROCEDURE

CAUTION: Before servicing any electrical component, the ignition key must be in the OFF or LOCK position and all electrical loads must be OFF, unless instructed otherwise in these procedures. If a tool or equipment could easily come in contact with a live exposed electrical terminal, also disconnect the negative battery cable. Failure to follow these precautions may cause personal injury and/or damage to the vehicle or its components.

1. Disconnect the battery negative cable.
  2. Disable the SIR system. Refer to "Disabling the SIR System".
  1. Remove the steering wheel. Refer to "Steering Wheel Replacement".
  2. Roll back the shift lever seal from the upper and the lower shrouds.
  3. Remove the 2 TORX® screws from the lower steering column shroud.
  4. Remove the lower steering column shroud. Refer to "Upper/Lower Shroud, Steering Column Lock CYL Set (With Key)".
  5. Remove the 2 TORX® screws from the upper steering column shroud. Refer to "Upper/Lower Shroud, Steering Column Lock CYL Set (With Key)".
  6. Disassemble Floor Shift.

1. Lift the upper steering column shroud to gain access to the lock cylinder access hole.
      1. Using a bent tip awl, insert the tip into the ignition lock cylinder access hole.
      2. Turn the ignition lock cylinder to the START position. Using the bent tip awl, push down on the ignition lock cylinder retaining pin. Release the ignition lock cylinder to the RUN position.

1. Remove the ignition lock cylinder from the lock module assembly by pulling the ignition lock cylinder away from the steering column.

INSTALLATION PROCEDURE

1. Insert the ignition lock cylinder through the upper shroud.
        2. Install the ignition lock cylinder to the lock module assembly by doing the following:
          1. Align the positioning slot and locking tab slot on the lock module assembly to the positioning tab and locking tab on the ignition lock cylinder.
          2. Push the ignition lock cylinder into the lock module assembly until the locking tab locks against the locking tab.
        1. Install the 2 TORX® screws to the upper shroud.

TIGHTEN

• Tighten the screws to 6 Nm (53 lb in).
        1. Install the lower shroud. Refer to "Upper/Lower Shroud, Steering Column Lock CYL Set (With Key).
        2. Assemble Floor Shift.
        3. Install the shift lever seal to the upper and the lower shrouds.
        4. Install the steering wheel Refer to "Steering Wheel Replacement".
        5. Enable the SIR system. Refer to "Enabling the SIR System".
        6. Connect the battery negative cable.
        7. Perform the PASSLOCK learn procedure. Refer to "PASSLOCK Reprogramming Auto Learn".

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. John aka eauto
JOHN aka Eauto, The Car Guy
Experience: ase tech