Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Chevy Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Chevy Diagnostics

How to replace spark plugs in 1996 chevy suburban?

how to replace spark plugs in 1996 chevy suburban?

Welcome to! My name is DriveFast71(Ron) and I will do my best to answer all of your questions completely and accurately.

• Twist boots one-half turn before removing.
  • When removing the boot, do not use pliers or other tools that could tear the boot.
  • Do not force anything between the wire and the boot, or through the silicone jacket of the wiring.
  • Do not pull on the wires to remove the boot. Pull on the boot or use a tool designed for this purpose.
  • Special care should be used when installing spark plug boots to ensure the metal terminal within the boot is fully seated on the spark plug terminal and the boot has not moved on the wire.
  • Be sure to use spark plug socket Failure to do so could cause cracking of the insulator and arcing inside the plug, resulting in engine misfire.
  • Remove spark plug
  • Spark plugs should be gapped to 0.060 inch
  • Make sure each sparkplug threads smoothly into the cylinder head and is fully seated. Cross-threading or falling to fully seat spark plugs can cause overheating of the plugs, exhaust blow-by, or thread damage.