GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

2004 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD: cold air on the driver side..defroster

2004 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD, what causes the a/c to blow hot air on the passerager side and cold air on the driver side? When this starts to happen and I shut the system off, it then blows hot air out of the defroster and the floor vents. If I shut the truck off for a few minutes, it seems to correct itself for a few days.
Hello, I'm Cam. Please include all the details about your issue so I can accurately advise you. I cannot see your vehicle so please be detailed.
Did both functions, the passengers temp and mode happen at the same time or did one start a while ago and the second started recently?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I think at the same time. Once the a/c started blowing the hot air out of the passager side, I then turned the system off. Shorty after turning the system off I notice it was getting hot inside the truck really fast. I started checking it out and notice the hot air coming out of the defrost vents and floor vents. There have been a few times when the system will blow hot air out of drivers side and the passager side. No matter how many times I turn the system off and then back on, it will not correct the problem. If I turn the truck off for a few minutes and restart the truck then the a/c system will correct itself.

Ok, this is a failure of the temp door actuator. This actuator for the passengers Side is on the top of the heater case. I take a bit to change them as the top dash pad and ducting will need to be removed to get at this.