GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.
10949255

2007 hhr that wont start...battery and starter are new.

Customer Question

I have a 2007 hhr that wont start. the battery and starter are new. sometimes it will "click " and sometimes nothing. starter wont work with a remote start button either. starter works fine on bench.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 3 years ago.

GM Tech (Cam) :

Hello, I'm Cam. Please include all the details about your issue so I can accurately advise you. I cannot see your vehicle so please be detailed.

GM Tech (Cam) :

HOw many miles on your car?

Customer :

38000. this is the second time this happened the first time it just started after a while.

GM Tech (Cam) :

HAve you tried taking it back to GM and having them fix this under the 100000 mile powertrain warranty?

Customer :

No, i didn't know I had a 1000000 mile warranty

GM Tech (Cam) :

they do for thepowertrain and this fits the powertrain.

Customer :

This seems like some sort of electrical problem, would the warranty cover that?

GM Tech (Cam) :

I Am sure it will since it is part of the powertrain.

Customer :

The last time I was at the dealer for an electrical problem, it cost me 260.00 .

GM Tech (Cam) :

Non powertrain yes, but since this is part of the starter it will be.

GM Tech (Cam) :

let me confirm one thing.

Customer :

So you have no idea what the problem could be? Have you heard of this kind of problem before?

GM Tech (Cam) :

I looked and there is chance it is covered. The starter is not, a relay is not, ground wires are, Powertrain Control Module is,

GM Tech (Cam) :

let me ask you this, where is the click from, the starter itself?

Customer :

Yes, but I also sometimes here a buzzing noise from a relay under the dash, console.

GM Tech (Cam) :

That almost sounds then like a battery cable or ground issue and would fit the symptoms .

Customer :

Ichecked the cables when I replaced the battery. everything looked fine.

GM Tech (Cam) :

Did you confirm the main grounds then to the engine?

Customer :

I'm not sure what you mean.

GM Tech (Cam) :

WEll the main heavy gauge wires to the engine block must be clean and right just like the positive feeds to the starter.

Customer :

Yes I did check them and they are ok. When I connect a volt meter to the starter and connect ground to the engine block, it reads 12.6 volts.

GM Tech (Cam) :

OK, what does that read with the key in start?

Customer :

I haven't checked that, but when I connect a remote starter switch and pull the trigger I get nothing.

GM Tech (Cam) :

So are you jumping to the small stud for testing on the bench?>

Customer :

Yes, on the bench the starter works fine with the remote switch.

GM Tech (Cam) :

Ok, does the starter relay click with the key then?

Customer :

I replaced the relay. sometimes it clicks, and sometimes it acts like the battery is dead.

GM Tech (Cam) :

This is starting to sound like a module issue, then.

Customer :

I was able to jump it one time and it started. this time it doesn' work.

GM Tech (Cam) :

The starter?

GM Tech (Cam) :

or the relay?

Customer :

I jumped it at the positive terminal under the hood.

GM Tech (Cam) :

OK, please clarify, jumped the vehicle from another?

Customer :

Yes.

GM Tech (Cam) :

That also supports poor connections of the terminals.

GM Tech (Cam) :

When the jumper is attached it basically adds new connections for the power and ground.

Customer :

I agree, but I have double checked them. I cannot find any dirt, grease or corrosion anywhere.

GM Tech (Cam) :

Perhaps the issue is inside a cable then.

Customer :

I don't know if I mentioned it ,but this happened once before.Ichecked all the things we've discussed and then for no reason it started working. It lasted about a month, and now its doing the same thing.

GM Tech (Cam) :

All I can suggest then at the moment prior to getting a scan tool is a reset.

GM Tech (Cam) :

Take the battery cables off the battery, hold the ends together for 10 seconds then attach them to the battery and see what happens. This will reset the whole vehicle.

Customer :

ok. I will try that. If it works,what does that tell me?

GM Tech (Cam) :

that the computer was in a logic lock up

Customer :

So does that mean everything is ok, or will I need to do something else?

GM Tech (Cam) :

IF it works it may be ok, or if it happens again it may mean you need a firmware update.

Customer :

Is that something I get at the dealer, and is it covered under warranty?

GM Tech (Cam) :

The powertrain module, yes. that should be.

Customer :

I will try it know.

GM Tech (Cam) :

ok

Customer :

that didn't work

GM Tech (Cam) :

IT was a long shot, but worth the attempt.

GM Tech (Cam) :

so this means you will need some sort of diagnosis when it is not starting.

Customer :

I have a scan tool,but nothing comes up.

GM Tech (Cam) :

Is it a scan tool then or just a small hand held code reader?

Customer :

Iguess a code reader.

GM Tech (Cam) :

scan tools are usually dealer items.

GM Tech (Cam) :

I would ask the dealer for goodwill warranty on this if it is not covered under the powertrain warranty.

Customer :

Well, thanks anyway

GM Tech (Cam) :

I wish I could guide you through more diagnosis here, but with these electronic/computerized systems it is very dificult.

Customer :

Yeah,I know. I'm about 20years behind the technology.

GM Tech (Cam) :

If I miss a week I Am behind. This stuff is changing faster than we can keep up to.

Customer :

Well I guess I will take it to the dealer and hope I don't get stuck.

GM Tech (Cam) :

Good luck, and remember to ask for the goodwill warranty.

Customer :

What is that?

GM Tech (Cam) :

It is a warranty that the service manager can extend to a customer at their discretion.

Customer :

ok thanks.

GM Tech (Cam) :

Please reply back if you need additional help or press ACCEPT If my answer was helpful. You can reopen it at any time by replying to it and I will answer ASAP. PLease keep in mind that as experts on this site, we are only compensated for our time spent helping customers once ACCEPT is selected. Thanks again for using Just Answer. Cam.