Virtual Wrench (L J)
Virtual Wrench (L J), Chevy Mechanic
Experience:  35 years Master Mechanic

Chevrolet Impala SS I have a 2008 Impala ss and the battery

I have a 2008 Impala ss and the battery went bad (so I think). I replaced the battery and everything was fine until about 3 days later. I went to start my car and it did nothing, no sound, no lights, no windows, in fact the key was stuck in the on position and I couldn't get it out. I popped the hood to look around, messed with the batter cables and immediatly my radio came on so I tried to start the car again. This time it worked, started right up without hesitation. About 2 minutes later I heard a clicking sound coming out of the dash, kinda center, upper towards the windsheild. It stopped clicking about 1 minute later. Each time I started my car after this it did the clicking sound for about a minute and then 2 or 3 days later it stopped the clicking. It went about 5 days without clicking, starting just fine and suddenly this morning it started the clicking again, for only about a minute. Otherwise, everything seems to be fine. I have sense made sure that all cables are tight, secure and free of corrosion. Every now and then the passenger door will not unlock with the remote...any connection? Do you have any idea what's going on with my car? My warranty is up and I really can't afford the diagnostic check up at the dealer.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Virtual Wrench (L J) replied 3 years ago.

The problem is that the alternator is not charging the battery. A new battery will only last about 3 days before it looses it's reserve charge and it is not being replenished from the alternator. Also if you let the car sit for a day or two, being that it's a new battery it will charge up on it's own and start, but will do it again.

If you or someone can change it, you can get a rebuilt one from your local parts store. Otherwise it will have to go to the shop for replacement. It does not have to be the dealer, any shop can do it for you. Once it's replaced and the battery gets charged it will be good to go.

If you have further questions feel free to reply.Please remember we use an honor system and you have to click on accept so i receive credit for assisting you.
Virtual Wrench (L J), Chevy Mechanic
Experience: 35 years Master Mechanic