Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Chevrolet Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification

95 camaro: automatic transmission..the reverse has stopped working

my 3.4 95 camero has an automatic transmission. but the reverse has stopped working completely. i wanna rule out all possibilities before having to replace the whole transmission. what should i look for?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 5 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you with your Chevy problem.

If you have checked fluid level and the forward ranges all still work then there is not much left to check. Reverse is fully manual, meaning no electronics are necessary to apply reverse. The problem is all inside the transmission. If second gear works when going forward this means the band is applying and the sun shell is not stripped. If you lost 2nd and fourth gear as well as reverse then I would suspect that the sun shell is stripped. Either way, the transmission has to come apart to repair reverse clutches.