Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

Chevrolet Impala LT My 2007 Chevy Impala LT leaks oil and

Customer Question

My 2007 Chevy Impala LT leaks oil and cooling fluid. I have had several mechanics (sears, Firestone, and other mechanic have looked at the car. No one seems to be able to diagnose the problem. Oil has to be put in every week and so does cooling fluids. I always smell oil as if the car is running hot, yet no light comes on.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Eric replied 3 years ago.

do the leaks seem to be coming from the top part of the engine?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The leaks seem to be coming from the bottom part of the engine. It appears to be somewhere near the radiator, but not the radiator. Oil and cooling fluid runs out, because I have observed the oily spots on the ground along with the coolant also.
Expert:  Eric replied 3 years ago.

Ok, that eliminates the intake manifold, which can leak both oil and coolant if cracked, which I have seen on this engine before.

has the cooling system been pressure tested and dye added to the engine oil yet to track down both leaks?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
no this has not been done.
Expert:  Eric replied 3 years ago.

Ok, both of these really need to be done, and I dont have a good reason why any competent shop hasnt done them.

the pressure test puts the cooling system under maximum pressure so that you can inspect all the cooling system components, including the cylinder head and engine block and watch the coolant leak out so you know exactly where it is leaking.

the engine oil dye is very bright green flourescent dye that you can easily trace back to its source.

the most common reasons for having both a coolant and oil leak, provided they are related and not just a coincidence, are first intake manifold, then cylinder head gasket, then engine block, unless yours has an oil cooler at the oil filter(not standard), then this would be the most common cause
Expert:  Eric replied 3 years ago.

if you have any questions on this feel free to ask for more help, otherwise please remember to click the accept button as the expert is not paid for their time, services or knowledge until you do so. poor accept rates will lead to experts no longer willing to answer future questions as they know that they will not be paid for their time or services. If you have a subscription service, you still need to click the accept button but you are NOT charged again. Thank you.