ASEMaster35yrs, Chevy Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified since 1972,Master Auto tech,Heavy Truck Tech ,chev dealer tech

Chevrolet G20 The steering wheel was loose on my 1988 chevy

The steering wheel was loose on my 1988 chevy g20 van, tried to tighten it now it want start (nothing). replaced the switch, still nothing... the switch doesn't swing back when I turn it. HELP!!! do I need a new steering column?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  ASEMaster35yrs replied 5 years ago.

Hi, glad to be of help. What did you do to tighten it. Did you take it apart? Is it a tilt wheel? There is a rod that comes down from the top of the column that goes into a hole in the ignition switch. Did you locate the rod into the hole before securing the switch? If the rod came out of place, you may have to remove the steering wheel to relocate it. You don't need a new steering column. Here is a diagram of what I'm talking about:

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, I took it apart. Yes, it is a tilt wheel. I tried to tighten the bolt in the center, I think the loose whel was a result of repatedly grabbing the wheel when getting into the truck. But no, I didn't see a rod but will look.

There are 4 torx head bolts that hold the tilt wheel tight. You can access three of those bolts without taking the steering wheel assembly totally apart with a 1/4" drive deep socket. You can actually use a 1/4 6pt deep socket to do so. The bolts come loose from the continual use of the tilt and is very common. Use the diagram to put it back together correctly or take it to a shop to have it done. Here is a forum link with links to pictures: