kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech
Experience:  I HAVE OWNED MY OWN SHOP FOR OVER THREE YEARS. I HAVE THE TOOLS AND SOFTWARE TO ANSWERE ALMOST ANY Q
5629372

idle air control valve stays closed and car wont idle i got a new one and it dose the same

idle air control valve stays closed and car wont idle i got a new one and it dose the same thing i can take the valve out and depress it in by hand put it back in and the car will start and idle but as soon as i hit the gas the valve shuts like it should but when i let off the gas it stays shut so the car dies ive cleaned out the hole it goes in even sanded a little on the nipple of the valve thinkin it was getin stuck in the hole dont think it is not sure if there mite be something that would cause it not to open back up i checked it with a scanner and there are no codes paul
Category: Chevy
Expert:  kalamykid replied 3 years ago.

kalamykid :

First off the iac should open up all the way when you hit the gas. The first thing i would do woudl be to check the wires and make sure thereis no shorts in the wires to the iac.

Customer:

do u know how 2 test the 4 prong conector

kalamykid :

Let me get a pin out for you so you can see what wire should have what on it. Be right abck.

kalamykid :

Is the 8th vin digit a 4 or an f?

Customer:

4

kalamykid :

thank you. be right abck

Customer:

i have read it opens up to idle and shuts when u hit the gas it runs great but will not idle cause it stays shut

kalamykid :

Not sure where you got your info but the valve will open when not at idle.

Customer:

all over the internet

kalamykid :

here is the pin out for the iac plug. The high controlers will be a 5 volt positive and the low are the return grounds to the pcm.

kalamykid :

Full Size Image

Customer:

ok maybe u mean valve open not at idle but it plugs the hole up that gives more air that mixes with fuel and when valve shuts it opens up the hole and lets more air mix with the fuel

Customer:

so on iac coil a and b should be 5 voils

Customer:

each

Customer:

volts

kalamykid :

no ba nd d willhave 5 volts on them with the iac unplugged and the ignition switch in the run position.

kalamykid :

sorry B and D willhave 5 volts on them.

Customer:

each

Customer:

or togetter

kalamykid :

each

Customer:

ok

kalamykid :

the voltage willcome and go as the pcm is trying to regulat the iac.

kalamykid :

one opens the iac and the other closes it.

Customer:

so one opens and one shuts

kalamykid :

yep

Customer:

ok i get it now thanks

kalamykid :

youare very welcome.

kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech
Experience: I HAVE OWNED MY OWN SHOP FOR OVER THREE YEARS. I HAVE THE TOOLS AND SOFTWARE TO ANSWERE ALMOST ANY Q