GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

2001 tahoe: annoying squealing coming from the serpentine belt

I have a 2001 tahoe. I'm having some annoying squealing coming from the serpentine belt. I am sure it is not the a/c belt. My dealer service department has tried so many things to fix it but it always comes back. Looking on the internet I see this is a big problem with tahoes. I need a sure fix. can you help?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 5 years ago.
Hello, I'm Cam. Please include all the details about your issue so I can accurately advise you. I cannot see your vehicle so please be detailed.
Was the AC belt removed to check and see if the noise is gone with it off?
If not then that needs to be done. ALso if the AC belt was bad, 95% of the time, the ac belt tensioner is failing. I have got to the point where I will change them as a pair.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes the a/c belt was removed and it still squelled. I am sure it is the serpentine belt.
OK, then next, what I would do is take a section of tubing and with one end to your ear, place the other around parts of the belt to see which pulley it is turning or slipping on to make the noise.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I'm sorry for not being more clear. While the the engine was running and there was squeeling, my dealer cut the a/c belt off and the squeeling continued as before. They seem to be sure that it is the "serpentine belt" (the long belt running in the from of the engine).
Yes, so with that hose to hear in specific locations, lets see what pulley on the main belt is making noise.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I have had all pulleys replaced with non after market pulleys and a new chevrolet belt installed.

Ok, but what about the drive pulleys? Is the alternator out of alignment or power steering? That is why we need to know which pulley is making noise. Everything the belt touches is a pulley, but think you are saying you replaced all the idler and tensioner pulleys so do this test please.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I will have to get some tubing and get back with you.
Ok, even heater hose or a small chunk of garden hose will work.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I think I have found the location of the squeek. I think it is the crank pulley. On the diagram it it the big circle on the lowest part of the diagram

Ok, that is, so you may have a bad seal on it then that is causing this.
Does the noise stop when you wet the belt down with water?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have not tried wetting the belt down with water. I will try that.
Ok,
Let me know
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Wetting the belt down made it worse. I even temporarily heard noises I never heard before.

OK, so that means it is something in the belt.
Did you replace the tensioner at the same time as the pulley?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am not sure. Let me look back at my records.
ok
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have not had time to get back. Could you give me a Summery of what you think it might be with the information you currenty have? I reall do not have anymore time to spend on this. Thanks so much!!
Basically put if the belt is squealing then it is either dure to a loose belt meanign tensioner, poor belt material, one of the pulleys is out of alignment or a pulley is dragging.