GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.

Replace the latch on the center console of a 2007 chevy silverado?

Customer Question

how do you replace the latch on the center console of a 2007 chevy silverado?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Randall C replied 2 years ago.
Hello, My name isXXXXX will do my best to assist you with your question. Here is the only information that I can send per the consol latch assy.

Front Floor Console Compartment Door Latch Replacement (Except Cadillac)

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thats for the older GMs, I need the new ones,my Chevy is a 2007 but it's the newer body style.I need to be able to take replace the latch that locks the center console lid when it is in the upright position.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
This is of no help to me either.Do you know what I am talking about?
Expert:  Randall C replied 2 years ago.
Sorry for the delay. I had to step away past 24 hours. i send the latch info for the 2007 that is showing on my end. I pulled up 2007 and did not just send generic info. I will check further if needed at this point. is yours 4x4? 2 wd? engine size? just to have all accurate info. LMk thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It's a 2007 Chevy Silverado 1500 ext cab 4x4 with the 5.3L V8.I broke the latch of the center console lid.I have a replacement latch, I just don't know how to properly take apart the center console lid so I won't break anything.
Expert:  Randall C replied 2 years ago.
I need to opt out. I cant locate any info on just the latch assy. Another expert should be along shortly. Pls do not repsond to me as the next expert may not be able to see the open question. sorry I could not help. One should be along shortly
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Why does it say that the question is closed if you didn't answer my question correctly?
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I'm Cam. Please include all the details about your issue so I can accurately advise you. I cannot see your vehicle so please be detailed.
The info posted is for your new style 2007 center console latch. DO you mean the glove box latch?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My center console latch broke and I am trying to replace it.I need to know how to take apart the center console so I can do that.I'm not talking about the glove box I am talking about the center console lid that sits in between the driver and passenger seats
This has the 40-20-40 seat?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes you are correct.It is a 2007 Chevy Silverado LT ext cab

Did they sell you just the latch? LAst time I checked I could only get the whole assembly.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I got the lid that came with the latch so can you can you tell me how to replace it?
Perfect. With it broken it may be difficult. I just tried on mine and if I pried up on the edge of the passengers side, the lid popped up. If not then you need to pry it open a bit, use some tape and cardboard to protect the area and cut the tab of the latch.
Then with it open there are 4 screws down from the top of plastic liner. WIth that out you can replace the lid.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I took out the four screws that hold the plastic piece on the inside of the lid and the plastic piece still doesn't want to come off. Is there something else holding it together?? I don't want to try and pry it off and then risk breaking something and have to replace the whole entire thing
The info on this is very limited, so all I can suggest is you try gently prying as I suspect there is some clips in there
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
can you give the location of the clips at least?
what is the part number of the replacement parts please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't know what the part number is
DO you no still have packaging?