Super Mechanic
Super Mechanic, Master technician
Experience:  29 yrs. exp., ASE master, cert. in G.M. electrical, a/c, susspension, brakes, electronic steering
2947720

Chevrolet Venture: How do I change the power steering line

Customer Question

How do I change the power steering line on my 2001 Venture?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Super Mechanic replied 3 years ago.

Hello and welcome to Just answer.com, Super mechanic here. About your vehicle.

The loop is the power steering fluid cooler. Here is how to replace it.

P/S Cooler Pipe/Hose Replacement

Removal Procedure

1. Raise and support the vehicle. Refer to Vehicle Lifting.
  2. Place the drain pan under the power steering pump and the power steering gear.

graphic

1. Remove the return hose from the cooler pipe.

Caution: Failure to disconnect the intermediate shaft from the rack and pinion stub shaft can result in damage to the steering gear and/or intermediate shaft. This damage can cause loss of steering control, which could result in personal injury.

Notice: Set steering shaft so the block tooth on the upper steering shaft is at the 12 o'clock position, the wheels on the vehicle are straight ahead and set the ignition switch to the LOCK position. Failure to follow these procedures could result in damage to the coil.
  1. Remove the intermediate shaft from the steering gear. Refer to Intermediate Steering Shaft Replacement.
  2. Use a utility stand in order to support the frame rear.
  3. Remove the frame rear bolts.
  4. Use the utility stand in order to lower the frame rear to gain access.
  5. Remove the power steering gear hose clip.

graphic

1. Remove the cooler pipe from the steering gear.
  2. Remove the cooler pipe retainer bolt/screw.
  3. Remove the cooler pipe retainer.
  4. Remove the cooler pipe from the retainers on the frame.

graphic

1. Remove the cooler pipe.
Installation Procedure

graphic

1. Install the cooler pipe.
  2. Install the cooler pipe to the retainers on the frame.
  3. Install the cooler pipe retainer.
Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in Service Precautions.
  1. Install the cooler pipe retainer bolt/screw.
    • Tighten the cooler pipe retainer bolt/screw to 10 Nm (89 inch lbs.) .

graphic

1. Install the cooler pipe to the steering gear.
    • Tighten the power steering gear cooler pipe fitting to 27 Nm (20 ft. lbs.) .
  1. Install the power steering gear hose clip.

graphic

1. Install the return hose to the cooler pipe.
  2. Use the utility stand in order to raise the frame rear.
  3. Install the NEW frame rear bolts.
  1. Install the intermediate shaft to the steering gear. Refer to Intermediate Steering Shaft Replacement.
  2. Lower the vehicle.
  3. Fill the power steering fluid reservoir.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I was finally able to run down the and I'm ready to replace the return hose. I was reading through the instructions and see I need to remove the intermediate shaft. The instructions say to Refer to Intermediate Steering Shaft Replacment.

Can you send me those instructions? Thanks

*

*

*

*

*

*

*

I have the instructions in a PDF format that you can download HERE then you just click where it says “Click here to start download” Thanks

*

*

*

*

*

*

*

Super Mechanic, Master technician
Experience: 29 yrs. exp., ASE master, cert. in G.M. electrical, a/c, susspension, brakes, electronic steering
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I was able to cut the hoses and tie in the new steel tubing which loops round the frame members and under the radiator support. By doing this, the bad tubing was replaced without the addition work on the steering components.

Thanks for your help.

Good Job!! Glad to hear that you got it done.

Your welcome and come again, anytime, thanks