BOBBYSS, Master Technician

Chevrolet 2008 Chevy Cobalt automatic transmission problem;

Customer Question

2008 Chevy Cobalt automatic transmission problem; RPM's flutter in high gear starting at 30mph to 45mph. Dealer had had time duplicating problem until I yanked service advisor into car and duplicated problem within 2 minutes. Dealer replaced the torque converter but it did not fix problem. This all started at 43,000 miles. Now car has 63,000 miles and getting worse. Extended warranty has just expired too. I believe it to be solenoid valve. I had a 2004 Yukon Denali with same problem and dealer replaced solenoid valve and it immediately fixed problem (dropped oil pan and replaced solenoid). Service advisor claims the Cobalt has way different transmission and that would not be the fix. When tranny is fluttering, your body gets thrown around inside car. Like someone is taking foot on and off the accelerator 6 or 7 times within 2 seconds. Humanly impossible to do. Seems to be electrical in nature or some type of solenoid valve. Help!!
Category: Chevy
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 5 years ago.
Hello Customer, is the check engine light coming on in the vehicle?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no check engine light. dealer cannot see any error codes either.
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 5 years ago.
Okay. The most common issue to cause this problem on your vehicle is the valve body on the transmission. It is very common for it to become clogged or warped and cause the transmission to shift this way. More than likely it will either need to be removed and cleaned out or replaced. Since you were taking it to the dealer for the problems while you were under warranty they should still accept the warranty since they never actually fixed it for you.