GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

chevy silverado 2500 My duramax will lose power like someone

Customer Question

My duramax will lose power like someone turned the fuel off, but would continue to run at a even 65 mph, I can not remmber the rpm but it will also shut down if I try to accelrate from a stopped position at a rpm higher than the same rpm running at 65mpr. Was doing this within a 2.5 mile distance but started doing at about 20 mile distance at first and graduly went to 2.5 mile. No check engine ligh came on. I change the fuel filter and it ran super for abour 20 miles stated doing it again. Could I have a contamnated fuel tank.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 5 years ago.

GM Tech (Cam) :

Hello, I'm Cam. Please include all the details about your issue so I can accurately advise you. I cannot see your vehicle so please be detailed.

GM Tech (Cam) :

WAs it around 2000 RPM?

JACUSTOMER-i8sf5s0q- :

yes

GM Tech (Cam) :

There is a common issue with these engines. It is the fuel pressure relief valve. This valve is a small plug in the end of the drivers side fuel rail. When they get hot, the start to open a bit too soon and set this code. There is a cheap solution to this. A shim that will hold the pressure back. Here is a website that sells these shims. http://dmaxstore.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=93

JACUSTOMER-i8sf5s0q- :

I had that plug replaced with a plug that was supossed to fix the same kind of promlem but then the check engine light would come on and that seemed to fix that problem

GM Tech (Cam) :

Find the 2 fuel lines on the rear drivers side valve cover. Take the smaller one off and attach your hose to the metal pipe coming from the engine. Put the other end into the container and run the engine to fill that line. Then shut it off and remove the IGN 1 relay from beside the starter relay. empty out the container and keep the line full. Crank the engine for 15 seconds fully and measure the amount of fuel that comes out of that line. More than 40cc means the injectors have failed.

JACUSTOMER-i8sf5s0q- :

I am not a machnic so how much time do I have before I have to accept or reject. I really don't think it is a injector problem but am willing to check it out.

GM Tech (Cam) :

WE can talk through this, so if you can do that test, and get back to me we can see.

GM Tech (Cam) :

I am reasonably sure it is injectors or the relief valve, but since you replaced it,that leaves injectors.

JACUSTOMER-i8sf5s0q- :

none of your ans were correct . It was fuel hose were colabceing when hot