kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech
Experience:  I HAVE OWNED MY OWN SHOP FOR OVER THREE YEARS. I HAVE THE TOOLS AND SOFTWARE TO ANSWERE ALMOST ANY Q
5629372

Will a 1990 chevy corsica 3.1 engine fit in a 1994 chevy lumina car?

will a 1990 chevy corsica 3.1 engine fit in a 1994 chevy lumina car?

kalamykid :

No. The tw engines have some differances in them as far as trhe cam and crank sensors locations and set ups. there is no way to modify the 90 to fit into the 94 lumina. You will need a 93-94 3.1 engine to put back into the 94 lumina. This can come out of a lumina, corsica, regal, centery, or monty carlo.

kalamykid :

But it MUST BE A 93 or a 94 engien to work in your car.

Customer:

So the eighth digit, which a T, of the VIN doesnt matter? A guy told me as long as this digit on both is a T, it would work and you just have to change the intake and few other item. But your web-base says no go, huh? I have an excellent running 90 Corsica 3.1(which is wrecked) and I have a good 1994 Chevy Lumina car body but the motor won't start. I asked a question earlier regarding the timing set-up but now cylinders 5 & 6 have no compression.

kalamykid :

No the 90 will not work. the crank sensor is in the wrong location, and the two use a differant sensor that can notbe swaped out. there areno mods that can be done to use the 90 engine in the 94 lumine car.

kalamykid :

The T vin code only tells you thatit has a 3.1 engine. Gm did not use a differant code for the differant 3.1 engine.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
What type of GM cars will the 1990 Corsica 3.1 engine fit in?
The 3.1 was used in the almost all the front wheel drive cars, from 1990-2004. This would include the most comomn car, the chevy malibu.