Anthony
Anthony, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Automobile Technician with over 20 years exp. in this field.
15218643

Chevy: charging..front and you have to suck down the whole system

Rear a/c on chevy conversion has charging port at back with unit. I do not know where the other port is so I can suck the lines down and recharge. Can you advise where it is if it is one, or does it use the one up front and you have to suck down the whole system? How does the two systems work together when there is just a fan switch to operate the rear. Is it a relay switch of some sort that tells the rear unit that the A/C has been activated? same for heat? I tried charging the rear, but it will not take but little over half can as if air is in line blocking, or is there an orfice tube for rear and where?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Anthony replied 3 years ago.

Hello! Welcome to justanswer!

Do you have 1 or 2 AC Compressors?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
U got me, it is a Elkhart, IN conversion deal, and all I know about is one. It has separate coil unit at back where the water lines come in with a therm coupler for heat. It has also back there a a/c line with smaller port for charging. The other a/c line i tried to trace and find bigger portal for red hose. There appears to be additional line coming from driver side behind the headlight, I couldn't tell you where that starts from behind there. It goes to a in-line bubble thing (maybe somesort of separator) and I can't see past that point. Do you think it would be a compressor back there. I do not see any other compressor that looks like what I know they look like.
Expert:  Anthony replied 3 years ago.
On the engine, is there 1 AC Compressor?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Dude, are you serious. I would hope you know that a bad compressor does not have anything to do with having two ports would it. If it had two, then the set up would be that I should see both High and Low ports. Are you familiar with conversion rear a/c or not. It has a separate condensor coil at back with it appears to have three relay switches on top of it, also has therm coupler for heater portion as well as two a/c lines and two heater lines. I only see one charging port. I have traced lines and see in-line heater valve of some sort, and I dont know if the heat is working against the a/c. That is why I am trying to charge it and see if it cools, or continue with problem solving. What do you suggest at this point othe than two questions about whether it has two compressors or not. I have spent 45 minutes thus far and hearing the same. I dont mean to sound rude, but come on. It has one compressor, go with that. I have done said I dont know of another one. I have a little common sense knowledge of what to attempt if you can steer.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes on engine it appears to have one
Expert:  Anthony replied 3 years ago.
I understand larger systems have two compressors. Any charge port will charge it as both systems are hooked together. The have separate orifices but use the same lines. The lines just have a tee fitting for the high and low to both evaporators. The orifice for the rear will be in the high side line that goes into the rear evaporator. That has to be blocked if the rear evaporator will not get cold and the front one does.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I guess I should ask if the high side is the smaller of the two ports? Are you saying break that line apart at rear evap and see if an orifice is there? What would be the purpose of the one portal back there if they run off same freon?
Expert:  Anthony replied 3 years ago.

The small line has the orifice in it. Or it has an expansion valve. If the small line has nothing attached to it, it has an orifice. Take it off at the evaporator and find the orifice. Its there for sure.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I will get you credit dont worry about that, i need to get all the knowledge I can to attempt in the garage. When you say small line, you mean the one with the small portal right? Is that the high side? the orifice up at the front is on the line with the bigger portal.
Expert:  Anthony replied 3 years ago.
I understand. On the back Evaporator, the smaller line has the orifice. Two lines go into the evaporator, the smaller one is where you need to look.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Okay, give me a second, please dont go now where yet.
Expert:  Anthony replied 3 years ago.
Ok.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Few more minutes, waiting for air to clear.
Expert:  Anthony replied 3 years ago.
No prob...
Expert:  Anthony replied 3 years ago.

This is the part you are looking for back there.... It should have an expansion valve and its plugged up... Heres a picture:

graphic

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Okay, appears no orifice at that connection. That smaller line connects to the therm coupler (I guess) A flat top copper looking thing with a copper wire curled. The therm coupler acts as a tee and the bigger line comes in at the bottom. I cant see an orifice, and I stuck a tie strap in and it stop like it was block. But that would be a very small in length and diameter orifice if one is there. I'm talking 1 inch long and I cant even get needle nose in to get it. I replace the one up front a month ago. Are you sure it has two orifices?
Expert:  Anthony replied 3 years ago.
YOu found it. That part with the copper wire is the expansion valve. Its bad and causing no AC back there. The rear AC uses no orifice but does use that valve instead. Blow the lines out before you install the new valve.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Where would be the most common place to get a new one. Is that something that i would have to get from Elkhart dealers that put that van together? or take it off and match it up at Autozone, advance auto, or would a chevrolet dealer even have it?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I do want to say that freon was up to that point of the hose connection, does that mean that the ex valve was not letting it by to circulate?
Expert:  Anthony replied 3 years ago.
Correct, its not letting any freon by. Replace it. Its a stock part so you should have no problem getting one. I'm signing off now......
Anthony, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Master Automobile Technician with over 20 years exp. in this field.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks