goodwrench9124
goodwrench9124, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Ase Master Certified, GM Master Certified Tech. Awarded GM Top performer, Hybrid certified
5720312

Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ My 2010 Chevrolet 1500 pickup

My 2010 Chevrolet 1500 pickup with the 5.3 engine has a "knocking" sound coming from the engine, especially noticeable at idle. The truck has about 10,000 miles and is trouble-free except for this noise, which my 3 previous GM pickups with the same engine did NOT have. Have been reading online about this and find "piston slap" noise problems are mentioned all over the place, resulting in people getting new trucks in some cases.

I am taking it to the dealer tomorrow but am sure I will receive the "normal" diagnosis. Any input on this subject?

Steve
Hello and welcome, does this knocking noise occur all the time? or is mainly cold or hot?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for the reply. Since our temps are now in the 80s it's difficult to say about cold weather except that it's very noticeable when the engine is idling and there is little exhaust or engine noise. The engine is not using oil at all but my Ford-driving buddy commented on it in the driveway the other day. It is not heard for a few seconds when the truck is first started, but noticeable as soon as the idle slows down after starting.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Also, it definitely sounds more like a knock than a 'tick'. Going back about 50 years, it reminds me more of a rod knocking than a sticking hydraulic lifter.

ok, then you are probably hearing lifter noise and not piston slap. there is updated lifters to correct this problem. here is some info on this problem

Some customers may comment on an engine valve lifter tick noise that occurs after the engine has been shut off for at least two hours. The tick noise may last from two seconds to ten minutes.

12576400

Non AFM Hydraulic Valve Lifter

8

12632143

AFM Hydraulic Valve Lifter

8

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Well, I just returned from taking it to the large Chevy dealership about 15 miles from me where I've always had the service on my trucks done. I'm now driving a rental car (under warranty coverage) and they are going to tear my engine down apparently. They heard the noise loud and clear, both the the mechanic and the service writer and it's not normal. Definitely "rotational" and "in the engine", which isn't a good thing.

good deal, other than the problems with the lifters, we don't see to many other issues, have seen some rare camshaft. your dealer should be able to correct this for you.