GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.
10949255

monte carlo: only working in 5th speed..try next..doesnt work..hvac

03 monte carlo fan blower only working in 5th speed, just replaced blower motor resistor which did NOT fix the problem, any ideas on what to try next? Sometimes blower doesnt work at all but when i tap the side of hvac controll unit or tug on wires going to it, it will resume working but only on 5.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 3 years ago.

GM Tech (Cam) :

Hello, I'm Cam. Please include all the details about your issue so I can accurately advise you. I cannot see your vehicle so please be detailed.

GM Tech (Cam) :

Do the headlights go out at the same time?

Customer:

no headlites work fine

GM Tech (Cam) :

But do the daylight running lights turn off in 4?

Customer:

rear defogger doesn't work and hazaed switch doesn't work either ,don't know if those are related.

Customer:

i woill haveto go out and check on the running lites

GM Tech (Cam) :

Ok, usualy this is a bad ignition switch

Customer:

no running lites on 5 or 4 or at all

GM Tech (Cam) :

Ok, do you have a meter?

Customer:

no i dont

GM Tech (Cam) :

Ok, Can you borow one?

Customer:

not at the moment but maybe tonite i can

GM Tech (Cam) :

That would ensure we don't waste money on parts with out knowing for sure.

Customer:

so can i contact u back later?

GM Tech (Cam) :

Bookmark this page so you can easily navigate back to it, and so you know, you can reply at any time for follow up information regarding this issue, even after you accept my answer and I will reply.

Customer:

OK so when I get the meter tonite I just come back to this page to find out what to do with it? I will only have the meter for a few hours tonite as person needs it for work tomorow.

GM Tech (Cam) :

When you get it, find the thick wires to the igniton switch. Test on DC volts from the red to the white, orange, brown and pink with the blower on 4. If any of the readings are above 1 volt, then you have a bad ignition switch.

Customer:

Will these wires be located coming from hvac unit or on drivers side under dash?

GM Tech (Cam) :

Behind the igntion switch/cylinder

Customer:

so i need to remove dash?

GM Tech (Cam) :

just the trim under the wheel.

Customer:

ok anything else?

GM Tech (Cam) :

Not at the moment, infact if you find one low you can simply go to replace that and it should correct your issue.

Customer:

if i find 1 wire reading low voltage, replace wire?

GM Tech (Cam) :

igntion switch.

Customer:

how big of a deal is it to replace ignition switch? for a non mechanic? lol

GM Tech (Cam) :

This is a tough one to say. With out some skills with taking the trim off, I would suggest it is not something you may want to try.

Customer:

do u have to mess with steering column and such?

GM Tech (Cam) :

No, because it is in the dash you do not but you need to get the radio out and the cluster to get room to work with the switch.

Customer:

ok thanks , just one more thing, ballpark price on having mechanic do this for me?

GM Tech (Cam) :

About an hour for the replace and the switch is 250 or so.

Customer:

Thanks

GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience: GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.