Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE Master, L1, 32 years, Diagnostic / Electrical Specialist
13677702

1992 chevy truck: 4x4..oil pressure..The engine gets..gets warm

1992 chevy truck --4x4 --5.7 engine. Engine has 90,00miles.The oil pressure starts at 60 lb. The engine gets warm after 4 to 5 miles. After driving another 15 minuets the pressure drops slowly to 10 lb. when driving and- o- lb. at idle. Revving the engine will not get it above 10 lb. When I let the truck sit for about an hour the oil pressure almost returns to normal but 10 minuets of driving goes back to low pressure. This occures every day. I believe it is the oil pressure sending Gage.At 65 mph it will go as low as 10 lb. and at other times it is at 30 lb. ( normaly it would be 40 to 50 lb.Where is the sending unit located? Is it hard to change ?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Randall C replied 3 years ago.

Tracer :

Hello, My name isXXXXX will do my best to assist you with your question

Tracer :

Gm did report during the 1991 and 1995 years, oil pressure sending units that were incorrect calibrated. It is possible you do have bad sender. I do however always advise a customer with low oil pressure to have a remote guage hooked up and test oil pressure to confirm sender is bad or actual oil pressure problem exists. I will see what info i can get and send shortly about the sender and location

Tracer :

File In Section: 6 - Engine
Bulletin No. 47-61-49
Date: December, 1994 Subject:
Oil Pressure Gauge Reading Concerns (Replace Oil Pressure Sending Unit) Models:
1991-94 Chevrolet and GMC Truck C/K, S/T, P Models, M/L, G Vans
1991-92 Oldsmobile Bravada with 2.2L, 4.3L, 5.0L, 5.7L, 7.4L Engines (VINs 4, Z, H, K, N - RPOs LN2, LB4, L03, L05, L19) CONDITION
Some owners may comment on one or all of the following conditions: ^ High oil pressure when starting engine cold.
^ Low oil pressure when engine is at idle hot.
^ Erratic gauge readings. CAUSE
Oil pressure sending unit was not optimally calibrated for all operating conditions. CORRECTION
If actual oil pressures are within tolerances listed in Section 6A of the Service Manual, and gauge circuit electrical diagnostics in Section SC of the Service Manual do not uncover the source of the problem, an improved oil pressure sending unit should be installed.

Parts Information

DESCRIPTION PART NUMBER Oil Pressure Sending Unit 12553175

Tracer :

the sender is located back near distributor on top of engine. It will be about2.5" long, 1" in diameter and the top of the sender is made of plastic. Little hard to get to and,, there is a special socket for this you can get at most any parts store. You may? be able to unscrew it with regular set of large pliers. It is a little hard to see but is item #5 in the picture

Full Size Image

Randall C, ASE Master Tech
Experience: ASE Master, L1, 32 years, Diagnostic / Electrical Specialist