Experience:  ASE certified tech ADVANCED LEVEL SPECIALIST. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector

How does one test a secondary air injection pump

You should just be able to power it up and see if the pump comes on. If so, chances are the pump is good. You could also do an amp draw test on the pump. You would need an amp clamp or a voltmeter that measures amps.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The pump runs but is very noisy, sounds like a bearing in the motor is bad. Time to replace?
YES...I would...

Would you like more info on this code or do you want to try and replace the pump and go from there?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Is there anything else I should be checking beyond the pump? Check valves or the like?
YES! The air pump relay and check valve are very important. Be sure that the air hoses and tubes are not restricted or broke. Be sure there is plenty of air flow when this pump turns on. A lazy o2 sensor can also cause this code. The computer watches the o2 sensor when this pumps is turned on. The sensor must go below 150 millivolts during the AIR system operation test to pass
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The pump turns on and runs for a short time after cold start which is normal,would any of the items you mentioned cause the pump to whine loudly while running? P0410 code was not present during scan test. Sorry for being a pain.
NO problem!

As long as water has not gotten into the pump and it has full battery voltage and a good ground, there is nothing else that should cause the pump to go bad or be noisy. If it is, I would replace it.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Pump is dry now but probably had water in it at one time. Your Advanced level of training is obvious and has helped a great deal! Your the best!
THanks for the accept!

Please let me know if you have any further questions!