Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Chevrolet Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification

97 chevy: vortec..a bad map sensor cause a misfire..cylinder

Customer Question

on a 97 chevy silverado with a vortec 350 would a bad map sensor cause a misfire on just a single cylinder
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 5 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you with your Chevy problem.

No, a bad MAP sensor would affect fuel delivery to all cylinders and cannot make just one cylinder misfire.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

i have replaced the fuel pump spider injectors plugs wires distributer cap rotor and the obd scanner says my number 3 cylinder is misfireing but when i pull the plug and hook the wire to it it shows good spark

Expert:  Dave Nova replied 5 years ago.
Do you feel a misfire while running the engine?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
when im driving it feels like its running strong but when i stop or when its just ideling it shakes like its missing
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 5 years ago.
I would do a compression test on this cylinder and a few others so you have something to compare it to. Let me know what you find.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i did the compression test and all cylinders all of one but number 3 was going right to 125 but the number three was showing 90 i know that thats the reason for the misfire i put my truck in the shop and some rookie bent all my pushrods exept maybe three but one of them looked like a banana would that cause a single misfire and loss of compression only on one cylinder
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
when adjusting my push-rods wich ones are exhaust and which are intake