Thomas, Chevy Technician
Experience:  certified mechanic for 15 years

1994 chevy: z71 pick up with a 350 v8 motor 150000 miles..smokes..mile

Customer Question

i have a 1994 chevy z71 pick up with a 350 v8 motor 150000 miles. it smokes out the tail pipe for about a mile after start up . i think its anti freeze. it has to be very little because the resovoir does'nt go down.i see nothing on the oil dip stick. what is wrong ? how expensive to repair? how worried and how soon do i need to address?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer! I will do my best to help you fix your automotive problem today. I think your valve stem seals are leaking oil into the cylinder past the valve. This is a common problem for the Chevy 350. If thats the case they are not that expensive a set of seals only about $30. Book time calls for about 5 hrs labor to replace all of them.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
what if it is coolant, im pretty sure its not oil. what then?
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.
If it was coolant it would have to be a cracked head or head gasket problem. However it should run bad if that was the case. You should have a compression lose. You could have the heads removed and have them worked and that cover seals and any cracks in the head or bad head gaskets. But that would cost $1500 to $2000 to get done.
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.
I do not get paid a penny if you do not accept so if I have helped you please accept if not ask more.