Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database

1997 Astro: torque converter clutch..locking..service engine soon

Is there any way to bypass torque converter clutch not locking up code on a 1997 Astro van with a 4.3 V-6 two wheel drive. Car runs fine, but code p1870 comes up and activates service engine soon light. Cannot pass emisions test, and have been told I need $1400.00 transmision work.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm here to help get your problem resolved. Ask follow up questions, thanks.

There is no way to bypass the cheapest place to start is replacing the solenoid...The computer monitors when it locks up while at the same time monitoring engine speed and transmission speed so there are too many things going on to bypass.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Where is the solenoid located? I assume it is in the valve body, but is it easy to access and not costly to replace?

Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.

It is behind the transmission pan, its easy to get at and I believe the solenoid is around $100. Here is a picture.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I see from the photo that there are several solenoids. Which one would most likely be the culprit?

Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
The torque converter clutch solenoid valve.