AMEDEE
AMEDEE, CHEVY TECHNICIAN
Experience:  ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN ADVANCED LEVEL SPECIALIST. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

Impalas: My 07..stopped working..my key is stuck in it..park either

My 07 Impalas radio stopped working last night and then we go out this am and it has NO power. I turned they ignition and now my key is stuck in it. I can't take it out of park either.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 3 years ago.
Hello!

Does the dome light work?

What about the headlights?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Nothing works. It's pretty much dead.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 3 years ago.
Ok.. then yes.. it sounds to me like you might just have a battery issue, bad connection, blown fuse or fusible link causing you no crank condition. Electrical can be very difficult to diagnose so please stick with me and read this very carefully. There are a few possibilities here that it could be. We are going to need to run a few tests to see what is going on. Don't worry... these tests are really easy! I can walk you through this diagnoses.

The first thing we need to do it check the battery with a voltmeter. A fully charged battery must have enough cranking capacity to provide the starter motor and ignition system with enough power to start the engine over a broad range of ambient temperatures. It could be bad or just low on a charge. If the battery is bad, it can still cause a no crank condition even if it has a full charge. I would rec to get it load tested at a shop or at a battery store. A battery load test will verify the actual cranking capability of the battery. This is the best test. Or you can take a voltmeter and put it on the battery and crank the engine over. (Be sure the battery has a full charge on it.) If the volts drop below 9.6, the battery is bad and needs to be replaced! Just be sure all cable connections are clean and tight. Not only at the battery, but on the starter, engine and frame! Positive side as well as the negative side.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The only thing I don't understand is why the battery went dead since it is only used at the time you initially turn on your engine and the the alternator takes over. Might it not also be the alternator?
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 3 years ago.
It is possible.. but something could be drawing your battery down or your battery could just simply be bad.

When you get your vehicle started, check the battery voltage at idle. It should be close to 14 volts or so. If this is the case, then your alternator is working.
AMEDEE, CHEVY TECHNICIAN
Experience: ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN ADVANCED LEVEL SPECIALIST. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector