Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.

Chevrolet Silverado 2500 HD How do you removal the steering

How do you removal the steering wheel on a chevy 2006 2500 hd truck with an airbag.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Eric replied 3 years ago.

here are directions

:When performing service around the SIR system components or wiring, the SIR system MUST be disabled. Failure to do so could result in possible air bag deployment, personal injury or unneeded SIR system repairs. Disarming the System

1. Turn the steering wheel so that the vehicles wheels are pointing straight ahead.
  2. Turn OFF the ignition.
  3. Remove the key from the ignition.
  4. With the SIR fuse removed and the ignition ON , the AIR BAG indicator illuminates. This is normal operation and does not indicate an SIR system malfunction.
  5. Remove the SIR fuse from the fuse block.
  6. Raise and support the vehicle.
  7. Remove the connector position assurance (CPA) from both front end sensor connectors located on the frame crossmember.
  8. Disconnect both front end sensor connectors
  9. When the fuse is installed, turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
  10. The AIR BAG indicator will flash 7 times then turn off.
  11. Perform the Diagnostic System Check if the AIR BAG indicator does not operate as described.
Steering Wheel Inflatable Restraint Module Replacement

Removal Procedure

1. Disable the inflatable restraint steering wheel module.
    Object
    View Full Image
    View Full Image

2. Using a blunt-ended tool, push the leaf spring fasteners (2) inward through the access holes. The access holes are located on both sides of the steering wheel shroud.

3. Object
    View Full Image
    View Full Image

4. Lift and partially remove the inflatable restraint steering wheel module from the steering wheel in order to expose the electrical connectors.
  5. Disconnect the connector-position assurance (CPA) retainers from the electrical connectors.
  6. Disconnect the electrical connectors from the inflatable restraint steering wheel module.
  7. Important: Do not attempt to repair the inflatable restraint steering wheel module. The inflatable restraint steering wheel module is replaced only as an assembly.

8. Remove the inflatable restraint module from the steering wheel.
  9. Fully deploy the module before disposal. If the module was replaced under warranty, fully deploy and dispose of the module after the required retention period.
  10. Installation Procedure

11. Object
    View Full Image
    View Full Image

12. Position the inflatable restraint module to the steering wheel.
  13. Connect the electrical connectors to the inflatable restraint steering wheel module.
  14. Connect the CPA retainers into the electrical connectors. Seat and lock the connections.

15. Object
    View Full Image
    View Full Image

16. Position the alignment posts of the inflatable restraint module to the holes that are located on the steering wheel housing.
  17. Push the inflatable restraint module into the steering wheel in order to engage and in order to latch the 2 leaf spring fasteners (1).
  18. After installation, pull the sides of the inflatable restraint module in order to ensure that both leaf spring fasteners are engaged.
  19. Enable the inflatable restraint steering wheel module.
Steering Wheel Replacement

Tools Required

J 1859-A Steering Wheel Puller

J-36541-A Steering Wheel Puller Adapter

J 42578 Steering Wheel Puller Legs

Removal Procedure

1. Disable the supplemental inflatable restraint (SIR) system. Remove the inflator module. Remove the horn switch.Make an alignment mark in order to note the relationship of the steering wheel to the steering shaft.
  2. Remove the steering wheel nut.

3. Object
    View Full Image
    View Full Image

4. Remove the steering wheel using:
  5. J 1859-A (1) with
    J-36541-A (2) or J 42578 (2)

Installation Procedure

1. Align the marks made during the removal of the steering shaft and the steering wheel.

2. Object
    View Full Image
    View Full Image

3. Install the steering wheel onto the steering shaft.
  4. Install the steering wheel nut to the steering shaft.
  5. Tighten
    Tighten the nut to 40 N·m (29 lb ft).

6. Install the horn switch. Install the inflator module. Enable the SIR system

Expert:  Eric replied 3 years ago.
    When performing service around the SIR system components or wiring, the SIR system MUST be disabled. Failure to do so could result in possible air bag deployment, personal injury or unneeded SIR system repairs. Disarming the System

2. Turn OFF the ignition.
    3. Remove the key from the ignition.
    6. Raise and support the vehicle.

Removal Procedure

Object
      View Full Image
      View Full Image

3. Object
      View Full Image
      View Full Image

10. Installation Procedure

11. Object
      View Full Image
      View Full Image

15. Object
      View Full Image
      View Full Image

Steering Wheel Replacement

Tools Required

J 1859-A Steering Wheel Puller

J-36541-A Steering Wheel Puller Adapter

J 42578 Steering Wheel Puller Legs

Removal Procedure

2. Remove the steering wheel nut.

3. Object
      View Full Image
      View Full Image

4. Remove the steering wheel using:
    5. J 1859-A (1) with
      J-36541-A (2) or J 42578 (2)

Installation Procedure

2. Object
      View Full Image
      View Full Image

5. Tighten
      Tighten the nut to 40 N·m (29 lb ft).

Expert:  Eric replied 3 years ago.

I noticed that you have viewed and downloaded the answer and factory supplied diagrams. If you have any questions on this, feel free to ask for clarification or more help, otherwise you do need to click the accept button to pay for services rendered per the customer agreement as this is a paysite and the expert is not paid for their time or services until you do so
    . If you have a subscription service, you still need to click the accept button but you are NOT charged again. Thank you and have a good day
    Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
    Experience: 20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.