Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

2008 Chevy: the Service Airbag light keeps coming on..passenger seat

I have a 2008 Chevy Equinox and the "Service Airbag" light keeps coming on. A mechanic read the error code from the car "0074" and "0081" and says that the sensor on the passenger seat needs to be replaced. Parts and Labor come out to be almost $500. Is there anything I can do myself to troubleshoot or disable this sensor?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.

unfortunately, unless you have a diagnostic scanner with SRS/Airbag testing capabilities, you cannot troubleshoot these codes at home.

The B0074 is for a faulty seat mat sensor and the B0081 is for seat mat calibration failure, which is due to the faulty seat mat sensor.

Many times, these codes are a result of software needing latest software update. Before having the seat mat sensor replaced, you need to have your local gm dealer check your control module for any needed software update and calibration. This is normally a 1hr labor charge if needed. If it is needed, then this will resolve your problem

You do not want to try to disable any part of the SRS/Airbag system as this will disable the rest of the system and render the Airbag and seat belt safety restraints inoperable.
Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.

If you have any questions on this, feel free to ask for clarification or more help, otherwise you do need to click the accept button to pay for services rendered per the customer agreement as this is a paysite and the expert is not paid for their time or services until you do so
. If you have a subscription service, you still need to click the accept button but you are NOT charged again. Thank you and have a good day