Virtual Wrench
Virtual Wrench, Chevy Mechanic
Experience:  35 years Master Mechanic

84 chevy k10: starter new spark plugs..battery power

I have an 84 chevy k10 (clutch ) and I just put in a new starter new spark plugs and wires charged the battery..i go to turn on the engine and I have battery power as in radio lights etc. but the engine won't turn over. It won't even try to start just dead, nothing. Any solutions?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Virtual Wrench replied 5 years ago.

If i remember right this has a switch on the clutch pedal that enables the starter only when the clutch is depressed. If you look under the dash you should find it around the clutch pedal, top area, and it will have 2 wires going to it. Disconnect it and put a jumper wire or paper clip between the 2 wires and see if the starter engages then. If it does, then replace the clutch switch, if not, just let me know.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

do you happen to know off hand how much that would be to replace it?

They are not expensive at all. You can have it replaced for less than $50 parts and labor.

If you have further questions feel free to reply.Please remember to click on accept so i receive credit for assisting you. Even if you have a subscription, you will NOT be charged again.You can always ask follow up questions right here for no extra charge even after you click on accept
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
alright accepted the i just did the paper clip trick and nothing could it be the ignition switch? I think ill change the clutch switch since it was very loose and just kind of hanging there..

Do you happen to have a volt meter to use for some testing?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I don't personally but i can surely get one from my father..I'm guessing to check volts in the clutch switch??

Yes indeed :-)

We need to make sure it has power to one of those wires to start with....just post back whenever you have time.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Awesome thank you!
You bet,

We will hunt it down and get you running again :-)