Michael Moore
Experience:  ASE Master/GM WORLD CLASS/GM Master/GM ASEP/Dodge Gold/Mazda cert.

I have an 06 silverado. Crew cab. Only the front tweeters work.

Customer Question

I have an 06 silverado. Crew cab. Only the front tweeters work. None of the 4 6" speakers come on. About a week ago, the left rear came on, then when I killed the truck and re-started it, all 4 larger speakers were dead. The system is not marked Bose on the front of the radio nor RDO. What do we need to check?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Michael Moore replied 5 years ago.

If the tweeters are working then the radio is not the problem. The tweeters and front door speakers are on the same circuit so if the tweeters are getting a signal then the other speakers should be getting a signal. Its not uncommon for the stock speakers to go bad. If you have a ohm meter (multimeter) then you can check the speakers. Measure across the 2 wires at the speakers with the speakers disconnected. You should measure about 4 ohms. If there is no reading or higher reading then 4, the speakers are bad. I would get a good set of after market speakers to replace them, they are about the same price as the stock ones from the dealer and they sound much better.

Front Speakers

Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: FS

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Would ALL 4 6" speakers go bad? All at one time? This sounds very unusual. As I previously stated NONE of the 6" speakers work. I can see one, maybe even 2 going bad, but all 4 seems very strange. OR if one goes bad, does that make the rest of them not come on? I don't have a meter, but I can borrow one. It just seems strange that all 4 speakers would go out.

Normally I see trucks that come in and complain about one of the front speakers that do not work to find out that the rears also do not work. Its some times hard to tell that the rears have stop unless you are in the back of the truck. If one of the speakers is shorted, it can cause others to not work but this is very rare. I have not seen a truck that had all four go bad at once but like I said its possible the rears were bad and you did not notice until the fronts went out.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Since I don't drive the pickup, I can't say what went out and when...I just know none work today or yesterday. Maybe both front and back went out at separate times. We'll check the speakers and go from there.
Let me know what you find. The meter works great at checking the speakers and is easy to read. I very rarely replace radios for this concern, mostly for cd issues but I do replace allot of the speakers.