Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

Chevrolet Lumina 96 chev lumina with 3.1 motor fuel pressure

96 chev lumina with 3.1 motor fuel pressure ok no trouble codes but at around 4000 rpm the motor studders or going down road you kick it down and motor studders
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm here to help get your problem resolved. Ask follow up questions, thanks.

It sounds like you may have a clogged converter, you can remove oxygen sensor before converter to see if it helps or install pressure guage and monitor while reving engine, it shouldnt go over a few psi. If good I'd replace plugs and wires.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

removed converter with in park you can rev up to 4500 and it will studder but i am not sure if there is a rev limiter

Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
Replace the spark plugs and wires then let me know if that helps. Wires are a common cause if converter is good.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
plugs look hot and white
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
Replace spark plugs and wires, thats really the next step. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the exhaust at tail pipe was very hot
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
If plug wire is bad it can cause unburned fuel to go into exhaust causing it to heat up.