GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.
10949255

Chevrolet Cavalier 1997 CHEVY CAVALIER CYLINDER MISFIRE ON

1997 CHEVY CAVALIER CYLINDER MISFIRE ON #3 plugs new wires new coils good ignition module new injectors new map new cps new coils switched around as well as wires...however when i put it into 5th gear(manual) and bog it down causing the engine to buck...the misfires clears itself up...but returns...2.2 engine code4
Category: Chevy
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 3 years ago.

GM Tech (Cam) :

Hello, I'm Cam. Please include all the details about your issue so I can accurately advise you. I cannot see your vehicle so please be detailed.

GM Tech (Cam) :

What is the compression on the engine?

Customer:

sorry compression is 170 high 155 low

GM Tech (Cam) :

when does it misfire?

Customer:

all rpm

Customer:

idle up thru

GM Tech (Cam) :

Is the exahust plugged?

Customer:

it's possible as this problem is reoccuring...but has only affected 1 cylinder

Customer:

cylinder 3 and only 3

GM Tech (Cam) :

If that one was a touch weaker then the rest it is possible.

Customer:

that was the weaker actually

GM Tech (Cam) :

and since you have changed everything else, it is that or bad camshaft.

Customer:

but why would that bucking i refered to clear that up ?

GM Tech (Cam) :

did you check the inejctor control with a noid light?

Customer:

mfi ..i havent been able to find a noid light to use

Customer:

i work at o'reilly auto ...i know the kit we have wont work

GM Tech (Cam) :

That is the next step.

Customer:

i did hm out the injector harness it all checks

Customer:

ohm*

GM Tech (Cam) :

But that does not mean it is chaffed, grounded or the ECM is bad

Customer:

well i did visually inspect the harness...didnt see any breaks ...but the ecm has been heavy on my mind with this issue

GM Tech (Cam) :

a noid light will tell for sure.

Customer:

you know of anyone who has or sells a noid light for this particular injection system...seems the bottom feed injectors have totally different connections

GM Tech (Cam) :

Not sure, other than snap on or someone likethat, Can you borrow one from the dealer?

Customer:

well i can sure ask...havent had much luck with information or help from local dealers thus far

GM Tech (Cam) :

Even if you need to make an adaptor or jumper wires to make the one you have fit.

Customer:

might have to try that

GM Tech (Cam) :

I would.

Customer:

i did pull the plug from number 3 and started it...there seemed to be plenty of fuel coming out( hillbilly method i know) lol

GM Tech (Cam) :

You want to run that by me again?

Customer:

is it common for the ecm to have lost it's programming and possibly get repaired with a reflash ?

GM Tech (Cam) :

no, they do not simply loose the programming.

Customer:

i pulled the number 3 plug ..started the engine...and fuel was shot out the plug hole a mist for sure but fuel

Customer:

i just replaced the number 3 injector ...i was getting a open injector circuit fault

Customer:

that seems to be gone now

GM Tech (Cam) :

Ok, but you got fuel out of it when you unplugged it?

Customer:

noo when i yook the spark plug out

Customer:

took*

Customer:

then started it

GM Tech (Cam) :

Oh, dumping fuel out.

Customer:

no not dumping

Customer:

a mist...

GM Tech (Cam) :

ok,

GM Tech (Cam) :

wAs it the same as anohter cylinder?

Customer:

seemed so yes

GM Tech (Cam) :

Ok, what is the fuel pressure?

Customer:

that i havent checked yet

Customer:

reg has been replaced tho

GM Tech (Cam) :

At this point it may be worth it to test it.

Customer:

ok

Customer:

no schrader soo i have to coble together a line with clamps and hose to a gauge

GM Tech (Cam) :

correct.

Customer:

is still miffed on why any of this would only affect 1 cylinder though...main reason this is stumping me

GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience: GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.