GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

Chevrolet Impala LS how to you get to the blend door actuator

how to you get to the blend door actuator in a 2002 Impala?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 6 years ago.

GM Tech (Cam) :

Hello, I'm Cam. Please include all the details about your issue so I can accurately advise you. I cannot see your vehicle so please be detailed.

GM Tech (Cam) :

this is for the heater blend or the mode?

Customer:

I'm not sure. The heat works fine but won't blow cold. Mechanic checked freon and compressor and they are fine. he said it was the blend door. I took out the dash(or so I thought) seems I need to take off another piece or something to actually get to it.

GM Tech (Cam) :

Does this have independant controls, left and right?

Customer:

yes

GM Tech (Cam) :

And which side is bad?

Customer:

both are the same. heat is o.k. but when switched to cold just blows air.

GM Tech (Cam) :

Ok, each side has its own actuator so if both sides stopped at the same time, then it is not an actuator but is the AC system still.

Customer:

the switch maybe or what?

GM Tech (Cam) :

Does it change from hot to just cool air or outside temp air?

Customer:

more like outside temp air.

GM Tech (Cam) :

OK, then is the AC compressor running?

Customer:

yes and full of freon.

GM Tech (Cam) :

Ok, then are the pressures proper for the system? Meaning the low side goes down to 30 or so then comes back up?

Customer:

not sure just had a mechanic check it for me.

GM Tech (Cam) :

It sounds like you need those tested to be sure.

Customer:

need what tested the pressures

GM Tech (Cam) :

yes, even though there is enough AC in there, the system may not be pressuring up and working.

Customer:

I'm pretty sure he did, he checked everything he thought needed checked and told me it was the blend door. should I get a second opinion maybe?

GM Tech (Cam) :

It may not be a bad idea. If both side stopped going cold at the exact same time then I am 99% sure it is not an actautor.

Customer:

What are the proper pressures readings. And what exactly should I asked to be checked?

GM Tech (Cam) :

The high side varies, 100-150 but the low is what we need. it needs to go down to 30 and then cycle up to 45 or so when the pump kicks off and then does that all over again.

Customer:

O.K. so if all the pressure reading are fine then what? Could it be just the control panel? Everything else works except that.

GM Tech (Cam) :

It could be the panel or something inside the AC system in the dash, but not an actuator based on our discussion at the momen.

Customer:

I have another Impala would it be worth swapping out the panels to see or should I wait and have the pressures checked first?

GM Tech (Cam) :

You can try that, since it costs you only time.

Customer:

If the turns out to be the pressures what will it take ti fix the problem?

GM Tech (Cam) :

That will be a compressor, accumulator or more AC Freon.

Customer:

and if they are fine then what?

GM Tech (Cam) :

One of those things is liekly the issue, not much else.

Customer:

I guess I will have to take it to another place and have the pressures checked.

GM Tech (Cam) :

Please reply back if you need additional help or press ACCEPT so that the question may be closed out. You can reopen it at any time by replying to it and I will answer ASAP. PLease keep in mind that as experts on this site, we are only compensated for our time spent helping customers once ACCEPT is selected. Thanks again for using Just Answer. Cam.

Customer:

How do I reopen it if I have other questions say tomorrow? And will I be charged again? I am new to this site.

GM Tech (Cam) :

Bookmark this page so you can easily navigate back to it, and so you know, you can reply at any time for follow up information regarding this issue, even after you accept my answer and I will reply.

Customer:

Thank You for your help.

GM Tech (Cam) :

My Pleasure.