Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Chevrolet Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification
11042942

Chevrolet S10 Blazer 4x4 how do i remove the oil filter relocation

Customer Question

how do i remove the oil filter relocation line from a 1999 chevy blazer s10 4x4
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 3 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you with your Chevy problem.

Removal Procedure

1. Remove the steering linkage shield.

Important: Have a drain pan ready for the engine oil to drain into.

1. Remove the bolt attaching the engine oil cooler lines to the remote (frame mounted) oil filter adapter.
  2. Remove and discard the seals.

1. Lower vehicle.
  2. Remove air cleaner assemble.
  3. Remove the engine oil cooler line retaining rings from the engine oil cooler line quick connectors at the radiator engine oil cooler inlet and outlet. Follow the next two steps for the proper retaining ring removal procedure.

1. Using a bent-tip screwdriver or equivalent, pull on one of the open ends of the retaining ring in order to rotate the retaining ring.
  2. Rotate the retaining ring around the quick connector until the retaining ring is out of position and can be completely removed. Discard the retaining rings.

1. Remove the engine oil cooler lines from the quick connectors at the radiator engine oil cooler inlet and outlet. Pull the lines straight out from the connectors.

1. Remove engine oil cooler lines from the vehicle.

1. Remove the bolt attaching the remote engine oil filter lines to the remote (frame mounted) engine oil filter adapter.
  2. Hold the remote engine oil filter lines below the remote engine oil filter lines (engine mounted) adapter to drain the engine oil.
  3. Remove and discard the seals.

1. Remove the bolt attaching the remote engine oil filter lines to the remote engine oil filter lines (engine mounted) adapter.
  2. Remove and discard the seals.
  3. Clean all of the components in a suitable solvent, and dry them with compressed air.
  4. Inspect the fittings, the connectors, the cooler lines, the cooler, the filter lines, and the remote filter adapter for damage, distortion, or restriction. Replace parts as necessary.
  5. Flush the engine oil cooler, the engine oil cooler lines, the remote engine oil filter adapter, and the remote engine oil filter lines with the same type of engine oil normally circulating through the engine.

Installation Procedure

1. Install new seals on both ends of each remote engine oil filter line.

Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in Service Precautions.

1. Install the bolt attaching the remote engine oil filter lines to the remote engine oil filter lines (engine mounted) adapter.
    • Tighten the mounting bolt to 35 Nm (26 ft. lbs.) .

1. Install the bolt attaching the remote engine oil filter lines to the remote (frame mounted) engine oil filter adapter.

1. Install new seals to the engine oil cooler lines at the remote (frame mounted) engine oil filter adapter.
  2. Install the bolt attaching the engine oil cooler lines to the remote (frame mounted) engine oil filter adapter.
    • Tighten the bolt to 35 Nm (26 ft. lbs.) .

Important: When performing the following procedure, do not reuse the old retaining rings. Replace the old retaining rings with new ones.
Do not install the new retaining ring onto the connector by pushing the retaining ring down over the connector.

1. Install a new retaining ring (E-clip) into each quick connector at the radiator engine oil cooler inlet and outlet by following the next three steps.

1. Hook one of the open ends of the retaining ring in one of the slots in the quick connector.

1. Rotate the retaining ring around the connector until the retaining ring is positioned with all three ears through the three slots.

1. Ensure the three retaining ring ears can be seen from the inside of the connector and the retaining ring can move freely in the slots.

1. Install the engine oil cooler lines into the quick connectors at the radiator engine oil coolerr inlet and outlet until a click is heard or felt. Pull back on the engine oil cooler lines to ensure a proper connection.
  2. Install steering linkage shield. Refer to Steering Linkage Replacement in steering.
  3. Inspect and fill the engine oil to the proper level.
  4. Start the engine and check for leaks.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I need to know how to get to the back bolt. I've tried extensions, flexible extensions and a wobble. How can I get to that bolt?
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 3 years ago.
It can be a real pain. Usually the sockets with the built in wobble are the best for this. Otherwise there is not a lot of room for a socket and separate wobble.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Once that bolt is finally out, do I need to loosen the motor mount brackett to get the old lines out (and new in)?
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 3 years ago.
It is not absolutely necessary, but removing the motor mount through bolt on the drivers side and jacking up the motor does give you additional clearance and makes the job easier. If jacking under the oil pan, make sure to use a piece of wood to spread the load so the oil pan will not be damaged.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I'm sorry but it is absolutely necessary to unbolt the motor mount. I'm sorry but your info didn't tell me anything that i didn't already know and telling me that it could be done without unbolting the motor mount caused me problems. I got the job done without your help.
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for using justanswer.