Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Chevrolet Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification

Chevrolet C3500 HD I have a 1989 chevy dually pickup with

I have a 1989 chevy dually pickup with a 454 engine. The fuel pump is running all the time, could the problem be the pump or is there a relay that can be malfunctioning? If it's the relay where is it located?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 5 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you with your Chevy problem.

Does the pump run even with the key off?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, the pump runs even with the key off.
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 5 years ago.
The problem is either a shorted fuel pump relay or a shorted oil pressure switch, as both feed current to the fuel pump. First, try unplugging the fuel pump relay and see if the fuel pump shuts off. The fuel pump relay is located on the passenger side firewall. There should be a plastic cover over the relays.

If the fuel pump continues to run, unplug the oil pressure sending unit and the fuel pump should stop. The sending unit is located on the drivers side of the engine.