AMEDEE
AMEDEE, CHEVY TECHNICIAN
Experience:  ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN ADVANCED LEVEL SPECIALIST. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

Chevrolet S10 4x2 1998 s10 4.3l starts and dies immediately

Customer Question

1998 s10 4.3l starts and dies immediately what is going on?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 3 years ago.
Hello!

Does the engine remain running with starting fluid?

Are there any anti theft lights or security lights on or flashing on the dash?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes it stays running with starting fluid. when the key is in the on position the security light stays on for like 2 seconds then comes off. security light flashes while trying to start
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 3 years ago.

After cranking the engine over after it does not start, does the security light flash on the dash?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
the engine starts up for like a second then dies. when it dies the security light flashes once, then constant for about 1-2 seconds then it goes off.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 3 years ago.
DO you know if there are any codes in the BCM?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i havent checked. would i use a regular obdII scanner to obtain this?
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 3 years ago.
Chances are a regular code reader will not do the trick. You will need to use a scanner that can communicate with the BCM. The reason I ask is because there are two TSB's released by GM for this problem. It will be accompanied by a code B2960 in the BCM
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
so how would i go about getting those codes red?
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 3 years ago.
You need to get access to a snap on or tech two scanner.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
just for shits and giggles i put the obdII scanner and no codes. so you think this is a passlock issue? and were does that scanner plug into?
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 3 years ago.
The scanner will plug into the same obd2 connector as you are plugging into right now.

It sounds to me like you either have a bad bcm or a security issue going on here.

You can try to do an ignition switch relearn procedure and see if that does the trick.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
can you explain the relearn process i tried this earlier but i was not sure if i did it right. also were is the bcm and could i just replace it?
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 3 years ago.
You cannot just replace the BCM... I do believe this does need to be programed or flashed before it will work.

Try to start the vehicle and then release the key... leave the key in the on position for 10 minutes while watching the security indicator. After 10 minutes, it should go off. Repeat this step 3 times and then try to start the vehicle.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
the security light doesnt stay on for longer then 2 seconds or so
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 3 years ago.
THen it should not be a security issue..

Fuel pressure checks out ok?

NO codes in the computer?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
no codes and yea fuel pressure is good
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 3 years ago.
This is what I am talking about.

Click here

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yea im getting normal operation of the security lamp. now on those instructions it says the security lamp is in the upper right corner. mine is in the center of the dash and says security. that is the right one correct?
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 3 years ago.
YES...

Then the next thing to do is check the BCM for communication, the mass air flow sensor and tps sensor.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
how do you go about checking the mass air flow sensor and tps sensor? i would like to try everything else before i have to find a way to get that special scanner
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 3 years ago.
Check the tps voltage return back to the computer with a voltmeter. IT should be under a volt key on engine off.

The mass air flow sensor might be a different story because you cannot get it to run.
Try disconnecting it and see if the engine runs.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
both seem fine
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 3 years ago.
What is the fuel pressure at?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
62 when you turn key on then stays at 58psi
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 3 years ago.
Excellent!

SO we either just have a security issue, bad BCM or a injector/spider assembly issue going on here causing your problem.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
how do i go about checking ijector/spider assembly?
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 3 years ago.
With motor vac and the factory scanner....
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
so what your telling me is i pretty much have to take this to a dealer?
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 3 years ago.
Sorry for the delay!

For us to continue and for me to give you a more precise answer, I need you to get me the code in the BCM. There are a few different ways you can do this. You can get a scanner yourself or you could have someone come and scan your vehicle that has access to one of these scanners.

In addition, we would need to check the voltages from the new pass lock sensor or ignition switch to verify that it is sending out the correct reading.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
so Im able to get a snap on scanner tomorrow. so i connect it to the port then what?
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 3 years ago.
The it will ask you what module you want to communicate with. From there, select BCM and then pull codes and even read live data to be sure that you can communicate with it.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok will give this a go in the morning
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 3 years ago.
SOunds good!

I will be waiting for your reply!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok I got the scanner in here there are no codes in the bcm what else should I check
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 3 years ago.
So you can communicate with the BCM? You can read live data in the BCM?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes I can read there are no codes stored there was one history code. And it provides. Me with all the data so I assume its communicating
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 3 years ago.
Did you happen to check any of the other modules on board for codes?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Such as?
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 3 years ago.
Instrument cluster
EBCM
TCCM
VCM
INflatable restraint
Climate control module
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It says select system:
Engine
Transmission
Antilock brakes
Airbag
Bcm
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 3 years ago.
See if you can communicate with all of them... try to pull codes and read live data from all of the modules that you can...
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Under egr,evap,acc there are quite a few things that say no or lean is that normal?
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 3 years ago.
Sorry for the delay!

Like what? WHat says no or lean?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Its with the o2 sensor I believe its just because the vehicle is not running
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 3 years ago.
Yes. that is fine..
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I can't communicate with the air bag system would that cause any problems
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 3 years ago.
You bet!

It could short out the rest of the modules on the vehicle causing your start and stalling condition.

You could try to disconnect it and see if it fires up.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
How do I disconnect it?
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 3 years ago.
Just unplug it...
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Were would the plug be?
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 3 years ago.
The air bag module is located underneath the drivers side seat.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
There is a two wire plug I disconnected that no difference
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 3 years ago.
NO.. this would be the motor or a heater for the seat. It will likley have about 10 or so wires on the plug.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Any idea on were it would be?
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 3 years ago.
Yeah.. it is under the drivers side seat. The seat will need to be removed and the carpet will need to be pulled up in order to gain access to this module
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Not there just pulled seat
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 3 years ago.
It should be very close to the shifter assembly under the carpet.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Its under the center console unplugged it and still no luck
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 3 years ago.
Ok.. then if there is no security issue going on here and all of the sensors back to the computer check out ok, then chances are you just have a bad module on board causing your problem. It sounds to me like it might just be the PCM.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
so your saying to replace the pcm?
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 3 years ago.
Sorry for the delay!

I am not going to tell you to replace any part. I am not in front of your vehicle doing the testing required to give you an accurate diagnoses. However, from what you are telling me, it sounds like you have a bad computer on board. At least we have ruled out many other sensors and have covered a lot of ground. At least this was you know that you are headed in the right direction.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yea this is pretty frustrating it seems like it wants to run but just isnt.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 3 years ago.
ONe thing that I would do would be to scope the BUS system. I am just bringing this up to help you. However, this does require a lab scope. You would need ot verify that the BUS system or circuit is not shorted out. This will rule out any other bad module on board shorting the computer out or pulling it down. ONce this is done, and all inputs have been verified ok going into the PCM, then this would make me feel better about saying that the PCM is bad. HOwever, until we do this, I cannot say for sure. Unfortunately, it is one of the cons of doing things over the internet. At least you are saving a ton of money by not bringing it into the garage for a diagnoses. There are ups and downs either way you look at it.

I appreciate you being as patent as you have been through this diagnosing process. HOwever, some thing you just need to take a leap of faith on. I don't want to say that a certain part is bad, because I have been down this road to many times before. THe customer comes back and complains that the part I recommended did not take care of the problem. I then have to remind them that this site is for informational purposes only. With the information I provide you with, you can decide what you want to do it. Just keep in mind, the information I provide you with, is based off of the information you provide me with. Make sense?
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 3 years ago.
Before replacing the computer, I would check the voltage from the ignition switch. The ignition switches are a major problem with these vehicles. At the pass lock sensor, check for 11-12 volts on the Red/White wire and 0 volts on the Orange/Black wire. If this checks out ok, then check for 5 volts output from the BCM on the Yellow wire with the ignition in the "ON" position with the connector unplugged. Then if that checks out ok, check for a reduced voltage on the Yellow wire when the ignition is cycled to the "ON" and "CRANK" positions. You can turn the key on and off and this voltage should always drop to the same voltage each time this is done. If the voltages are always the same, check for a data problem between the BCM and the Powertrain Control Module.

Potential Causes:
Body Control Module
Connection
Lock Cylinder
Lock Cylinder Housing
Wiring
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
my buddy has a blazer the same year as this would i be able to swap out the pcm's and see if his works for me?
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 3 years ago.
IF the PCM's are exactly the same.. maybe. It may need to be programed or flashed. You can call your local CM dealership, ask for the parts department and speak with the parts guys. Act like you are ordering a PCM and get the price and part number and while speaking with them, ask if it needs to be flashed.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
so it has to be flashed. do you do this with the snap on scanner?
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 3 years ago.
If it does need ot be reflashed, it will require the GM tech 2