Super Mechanic
Super Mechanic, Master technician
Experience:  29 yrs. exp., ASE master, cert. in G.M. electrical, a/c, susspension, brakes, electronic steering
2947720

1993 chevy s10 4.

1993 chevy s10 4.3 motor runs and dies runs ruff has check engine light how do i check the light to get code
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Super Mechanic replied 3 years ago.

Hello and welcome to Just answer.com, Super mechanic here. About your vehicle.

Without Scan Tool

graphic

READING DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODES
The means of communicating with the control module is the Data Link Connector (DLC) located under the instrument panel and is sometimes covered by a plastic cover labeled "DIAGNOSTIC CONNECTOR". The DLC is used in the assembly plant to receive engine information to determine proper operation before it leaves the plant. The Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC's) stored in the control module memory can be displayed by counting the number of flashes of the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) "Service Engine Soon" when the diagnostic terminal of the DLC is grounded. The DLC terminal "B" (diagnostic terminal) is the second terminal from the right of the DLC top row. The terminal is most easily grounded by connecting it to terminal "A" (internal control module ground), which is located to the right of terminal "B" on the top row of the DLC.

When terminals "A" and "B" have been connected, the ignition switch must be turned to the "ON" position with the engine NOT operating. The MIL (Service Engine Soon) should flash DTC 12 three times consecutively. This would be the following flash sequence: One flash, pause, two flashes, long pause, one flash, pause, two flashes, long pause, one flash, pause, two flashes. DTC 12 indicates that the control module diagnostic system is operating properly. If DTC 12 is NOT indicated, a fault is present within the diagnostic system itself, and should be addressed by consulting an appropriate diagnostic chart.

Following the output of DTC 12, the MIL will indicate any DTC three times consecutively. However if no other codes are present will continue to repeat DTC 12. If more than one diagnostic trouble code has been stored in the control module memory, the DTC's will be displayed from the lowest to the highest with each DTC being displayed three times.

ECM/PCM Code Description

EMISSION MALFUNCTION CODES

CODE 13 - Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) Circuit
CODE 14 - Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) Sensor Circuit (High Temp.)
CODE 15 - Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) Sensor Circuit (Low Temp.)
CODE 16 - Transmission Output Speed Signal Low (PCM Only)
CODE 21 - Throttle Position (TP) Sensor Circuit (High Sig.)
CODE 22 - Throttle Position (TP) Sensor Circuit (Low Sig.)
CODE 23 - Intake Air Temperature (IAT) Sensor Circuit (Low Temp.)(PCM & CMFI Only)
CODE 24 - Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS)
CODE 25 - Intake Air Temperature (IAT) Sensor Circuit (High Temp.)(PCM & CMF Only)
CODE 26 - Quad-Driver (QDM) (1) Circuit (VCM Only)
CODE 27 - Quad-Driver (QDM) (2) Circuit (VCM Only)
CODE 32 - Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR)
CODE 33 - Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) Sensor Circuit (High Sig.)
CODE 34 - Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) Sensor Circuit (Low Sig.)
CODE 35 - Idle Air Control (IAC) Error (PCM Only)
CODE 38 - Knock Sensor (KS) (Line Open)(VCM Only)
CODE 39 - Knock Sensor (KS) (Line Shorted)(VCM Only)
CODE 42 - Ignition Control (IC) Circuit
CODE 43 - Knock Sensor (KS) Circuit
CODE 44 - (Heated) Oxygen Sensor (O2S) Circuit (Lean Exhaust Indicated)
CODE 45 - (Heated) Oxygen Sensor (O2S) Circuit (Rich Exhaust Indicated)
CODE 51 - Faulty PROM (MEM-CAL) Error (PCM Only)
CODE 53 - System Voltage High
CODE 54 - Fuel Pump Relay Circuit (Low Voltage)
CODE 55 - Faulty PCM (PCM Only)

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no codes present it acts like a bad mass air flow sensor

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no codes present it acts like a bad mass air flow sensor also engine light flashes once then twice it does that 3 times then flashes 4 times

You will want to make sure that the ignition system, (wires and plugs) are in good working order. Also that the cylinders all have compression. Then if all good, you may want to clean the injectors. Here is a TSB for a running, (bad) condition.

Fuel - No Start, Hard Start, or Rough Idle After Start

File In Section: 06 - Engine/Propulsion System

Bulletin No.: 99-06-01-022

Date: January, 2000

TECHNICAL

Subject:
No Start, Hard Start, or Rough Idle After Start (Clean CPI Poppet Valves) Models:
1992-95 Chevrolet and GMC M/L, S/T Models
1992-95 Oldsmobile Bravada with 4.3 L Engine (VIN W - RPO L35) Condition
Some customers may comment on no start, hard start, rough idle after start, surge, or other driveability concerns related to the fuel system (clean CPI Poppet nozzles). Cause
Under certain conditions, fuel elements may deposit on the poppet balls, seats, or pintles, which can cause the poppet balls to stick in either an open or closed position. Correction
Follow the Strategy-Based diagnostics for your customer's specific driveability concern. If diagnosis leads to sticking poppet nozzles, this cleaning procedure should be performed prior to replacement of the CPI injector.

CPI Injector Cleaning Procedure

1. Loosen the fuel filler cap to relieve vapor pressure in the fuel tank.
2. Raise the vehicle on a hoist.

3. Locate the underbody fuel line (1) junction point:
^ For S/T and L-van, it is along the left frame rail at approximately mid-vehicle.
^ For M-van, it is behind the left-front wheel housing.
Caution: Considerable fuel leakage may occur. Make sure that protective eyewear is worn, and that suitable fuel containment measures are taken.
4. Loosen and disconnect both the pressure and return lines at their junction points. The fittings towards the front of the vehicle (both pressure and return) have "male" fittings, and the fittings towards the rear of the vehicle have "female" fittings.

5. Install the J 44466-2 (1) (this hose has two 90 degree male fittings and no service port) to the "fuel tank" side of the fuel pressure and return lines. Installation of this hose eliminates the need to electrically disable the fuel pump and allows fuel to recirculate to the fuel tank.
Important: This cleaning procedure and service tools separate the fuel tank and pump from the cleaning process. Do not allow the Top Engine Cleaner solution to reach the fuel tank and/or pump. Top Engine Cleaner solution may cause a failure of the fuel pump.

6. Install the J 44466-1(3) (this hose has two female fittings and a service port) to the "engine side" of the fuel pressure and return lines. Installation of this hose creates a "loop" through the hose and the engine side of the fuel system.

7. Obtain the J 35800-A (2). Make sure the valve at the bottom of the canister (3) is closed.
8. Remove the canister top and add 24 ml (0.8 fl. oz.) Top Engine Cleaner, GM P/N(NNN) NNN-NNNN(Canada P/N 992872), to the canister.
9. Fill the remainder of the canister with regular unleaded gasoline and install the canister top.
10. Suspend J 35800-A from a convenient location under the vehicle.
11. Connect the hose from J 35800-A to the service port on the J 44466-1.
12. Open the valve (3) at the bottom of J 35800-A.
13. Connect a "shop air" source to the fitting at the top of J 35800-A and adjust the regulator (1) to 75 psi.
14. Lower the vehicle to a convenient height and start the vehicle. It may be necessary to re-adjust the J 35800-A pressure regulator to maintain 75 psi.
15. Let the vehicle run at idle until the canister is empty and the vehicle stalls.
16. Turn OFF the vehicle ignition switch.
17. Raise the vehicle.
18. Remove the shop air supply from J 35800-A.
19. Depressurize J 35800-A.
20. Disconnect J 35800-A from J 44466-1.
21. Remove J 44466-1 and J 44466-2 from the vehicle fuel lines.
22. Re-connect the vehicle fuel lines.
23. Lower the vehicle.
24. Add one (1) ounce of Port Fuel Injector Cleaner, GM P/N 12345104 (Canada GM P/N 10953467), to the vehicle's fuel tank for each gallon of gasoline estimated to be in the tank. Instruct the customer to add the remainder of the bottle of Port Fuel Injector Cleaner to the vehicle's fuel tank at the next fill-up.
25. Tighten the fuel tank filler cap.
26. Start the engine and check for fuel leaks.
27. Clear any Powertrain DTC codes as required.
28. Advise the customer to change brands of fuel.
Parts Information
Part Number Description
1050002 Top Engine Cleaner (U.S)
992872 Top Engine Cleaner (Canada)
12345104 Port Fuel Injector Cleaner
10953467 Port Fuel Injector Cleaner (Canada)

Please don’t forget to hit the accept button though, that is the only way we get paid, thanks.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

engine light flashes once then twice it does that 3 times then flashes 4 times

THe codes will each go 3 times, so...12-12-12, then it is going 44-44-44, then back to 12 again?

See if it does that, thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes it does

That could be caused by a lean condition. Do you know if it has the EGR valve that looks like this? They had a big problem with some dirt that gets in and makes them stick open a little. Also, does it rev up pretty good?

graphic

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
it revs if i pump the thottle but if i put it to the floor it dies it acts jus like a maf sensor
Just to be sure that it is the CPI type. Is the 8th VIN digit a "W"?

Do you know what the fuel pressure is at?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
no i dont know the pressure put new pump in about 18 months ago the vin is z
You should be able to see the injectors working on that one. It's sometimes hard to pinpoint without being able to watch the data stream, (like with a scan tool) and the fuel pressure is fairly low on the TBI units. Deffinatly make sure that the exhaust is not just clogged, (cat) and you can take the 02 sensor out of the manifold just as a test to see if it will rev up any better. (or take the pipe loose)

Also, see how the timing is.

Adjustments

NOTE: Timing specifications are listed on the Vehicle Emissions Control Information label under the hood. Always follow the Vehicle Emissions Control Information label procedures first before using the following procedure.

Timing Connector-In Pass Comp Behind Carpet, Below Heater

Timing Mark

PROCEDURE:

Set timing under the following conditions:

• Normal operating temperature.
  • Air cleaner installed.
  • A/C "OFF".
  • Transmission in neutral.
  • Disconnect the SET TIMING connector (tan/black wire), taped to the harness below the heater case in the passenger compartment. DO NOT disconnect 4 wire connector at distributor.
Connect timing light and adjust to specification by loosening hold down bolt and rotating distributor. See: Specifications

Tighten hold down and recheck the timing. Stop the engine and connect SET TIMING connector. Clear ECM trouble code by disconnecting ECM power source. With engine at operating temperature, drive vehicle at part throttle with moderate acceleration and decelerate to idle condition. This will "teach" the ECM/VCM and return the engine to normal performance.

graphic
Super Mechanic, Master technician
Experience: 29 yrs. exp., ASE master, cert. in G.M. electrical, a/c, susspension, brakes, electronic steering