Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.

Why does my O2 sensor on my 1992 Chevy S10 keep going out?

Category: Chevy
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 5 years ago.

this wouldn't be the o2 sensor..this problem may be the ect[engine coolant tempeture ]sensor.this is located on the front of the intake manifold..the o2 may be showing up because of the rich fuel problem

Please ACCEPT my answer so I can get credit for my work.i don't receive commission unless you do ..I'm not always going to be giving you good news,so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my does not cost you more money.we will still be able to communicate.. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated!if you are not satisfied with my answer,please do not leave bad feed back,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question.if i have sent any diagrams,please print them.they will only stay on here for an hour or so.PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP

Description and Operation

ECT Circuit (Typical)
Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor

Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT ) Sensor is used to control:

• Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR)
  • Fuel delivery
  • Idle Air Control (IAC)
  • Ignition Control (IC)
  • Torque Converter Clutch (TCC)

The ECT sensor is a thermistor that is located in the engine coolant flow. Low coolant temperature sensor produces a high resistance (100,000 ohms at -40°C/-40°F). High coolant temperature, produces a low resistance (70 ohms at 130°C/266°F).

The control module sends a 5.0 volt signal to the ECT through a resistor in the control module and measures the voltage. The voltage will be high when the engine is cold and low when the engine is hot. Engine coolant temperature affects most systems controlled by the control module.

The control module uses information from the ECT to calculate spark advance as follows:

• Cold engine results in more spark advance.
  • Hot engine results in less spark advance.

LH Side Of Engine

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
How hard is this to change out? Any idea on what the part would cost?

it just takes a few minutes to replace..and cost around $25 at your local parts store