Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Chevrolet Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification
11042942

2005 Chevy Aveo: The drivers side tail light burnt..harness

I have a 2005 Chevy Aveo hatchback. The driver's side tail light burnt out and melted the plastic socket. To make a long story short, I ended up buying a new replacement harness from the dealership....not cheap!!! I replaced all 4 sockets being careful to replace one color coded socket as I removed the old one. When I plugged it in everything worked but the tail light. I checked the bulbs, the fuses in the fuse box, but cannot find anything wrong there. Is there an in-line fuse somewhere that I am missing?? It's still the same problem as before. Can y'all help?

Dave S.
Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you with your Chevy problem.

Does the passenger side taillight still operate normally?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, everything is normal on that side. Everything is normal on the driver's side too, except the tail light. The break light works which is the other part of the same bulb.
In the underhood fuse panel, check fuses EF14 and EF15, these should be labeled ILLUM LH and ILLUM RH. If both fuses appear okay, turn the lights on and then use a test light or voltmeter to test for power at these fuses. Let me know what you find.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
OK, now I'm going to sound stupid. I only checked the fuses in the fuse box on the left side of the instrument panel. Where is the fuse box/panel you are referring to when I open the hood?
It should be on the drivers side of the engine compartment. It will likely be around 4" by 8" and will have a black plastic cover. Once you remove the cover, you will see the fuses as shown in the diagram below.

graphic

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for being patient with me. I popped the lid off the fuse box and found a burnt spot on something the really doesn't look like a fuse at all. It is situated in the lowest right hand slot and is slim and fairly long. The left part of that fuse, or whatever, is burnt bad. If this is the problem, this is beyond my skill level!
The fuses makred Illum RT and Illum LT both are in good shape.
Is this the lower left hand corner of the diagram I sent as well?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
In the diagram you sent, which is the same as mine, it is the left hand part of the fuse in the lowest slot opposite the battery and the 3 small fuses
Is it below the ILLUM relay?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, the Illum Lamps is directly above it to the right, and Cool Fan Hi is directly above to the left.
Since the diagram does not show what is there, I am unsure of what is in this location. You may be able to disconnect the battery and clean this connection up. Testing for power at each of the ILLUM fuses will tell us more about what is going on with the taillight.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank You Dave, I am sure that this is the problem. Unfortunately, I do not have a repair manual for this vehicle either. I will accept you answer, although I don't know how I am going to clean this terminal. It has several wires leading into it from the bottom and is attached to the plastic fuse box by a dovetailed slot. At least I have found out that this is going to be a more extensive repair than I had hoped for.
Thanks again for your help.
Dave Sutherland
You are welcome. Thanks for using justanswer.