David H
David H, GM master certified
Experience:  Cadillac Technician 18 years cadillac dealer.ase master certified.gm master certified
19861837

Chevrolet Silverado 2500 HD LTZ I need to R&R the rear hub

Customer Question

I need to R&R the rear hub assembly on a 2008 Silverado 2500HD. I have removed the axle, clip, key and retailing nut but there is some special tool or odd way to finish the removal of the rear hub. I would like to know how to finish removing the hub so i amy replace the broken brake caliper mount plate. THanks
Category: Chevy
Expert:  David H replied 3 years ago.
Sometimes the hub sticks a little,try tapping the sides with a dead blow type hammer tom loosen the hub.As long as the retaining ring,key,and nut are removed this should work.
David H, GM master certified
Experience: Cadillac Technician 18 years cadillac dealer.ase master certified.gm master certified
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i have done that...it really seems liek there is a special tool needed for this removal. is there a GM doc on the removal of this rear hub as it seems like it would have sliden off by now. it seems like there is some sort of 'clip' in there that needs a special tool to 'pinch' it in thus causing the hub to slide off...i have been told that there is a special tool by dealership but no further details given.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i accepted the answer by accident but i did not mean it...i need further details please...i still have not rated the answer and it really does not help me...please help me further...thanks

Expert:  David H replied 3 years ago.
Here is the removal procedure with diagrams.Make sure the spring clip is removed.

Note:

The wheel speed sensor ring is NOT serviced separately. The hub and wheel speed senor ring are serviced as an assembly.
The rear axle hub seal must be replaced anytime the rear axle hub assembly is removed from the axle housing.
The wheel studs are serviced separately from the rear axle hub.

1. Raise and support the vehicle.
  2. Remove the tire and wheel assembly.
  3. Note: In the following service procedure, it is not necessary to remove the brake caliper from the bracket.

4. Remove the brake caliper bracket.
  5. Remove the rear axle shaft.

6. Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here
    View Full Image

Register Here

7. Remove the rear axle nut retaining ring.

8. Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
    View Full Image

Register Here

9. Remove the rear wheel bearing adjuster key.

10. Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
    View Full Image

Register Here

11. Using the J 2222-C wrench , remove the rear wheel bearing adjuster nut.

12. Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
    View Full Image

Register Here

Note: If the oil seal remains on the axle hub, remove the seal using a suitable seal removal tool.

13. Remove the rear axle hub from the axle housing.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
and this procedure is for the new body style 2008 and up 2500HD? there is nothing new for these...i know this is the correct procedure for the 2003 - 2007 but it seems this one is a bit different. can you please confirm this is the 2008 up? i have banged the heck out of it and it seems that there is something keeping it on. it is even visible by looking at the bearing itself like there is a spring on the inside that needs compressing via a special tool...thanks
Expert:  David H replied 3 years ago.
Have you removed the axle nut retaining ring from the first diagram?This procedure is from GM for 2008 silverado hd
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes...the only thing that remains is just pulling it out but there seems to be something keeping it on...it has a little play until it hits this 'clip' or something...i think that the 4 grooves that are visible in the attachment have somethign to do with pinching in on this clip inside and then this allows it to slide off...i just do not know for sure and no amount hitting it with a small sledge helps...

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
Expert:  David H replied 3 years ago.
you my need to use a slide hammer to remove.The bearing inner race maybe seized to the axle.The inner bearing seals also seize to the axle.Often the seal will stay on the axle when pulling the hub.It looks as though the retaining ring,key,and retaining nut are removed.You are seeing the out hub bearing.