Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

Chevrolet S10 2002 s-10 fuel pressure at 60 plus at key on

Customer Question

2002 s-10 fuel pressure at 60 plus at key on ,then drops to 0 quickly to prevent start up.Question-is fuel regulator located in fuel pump assy,fuel rail assy or fuel filter ?if at rail I suppose i need to take off intake to service,Chevy dealer says it don't show regulator on rail but in fuel filter(did change)but he they said could be wrong filter because thiers cost 110.00.Getting Confuse---me too
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Eric replied 3 years ago.

It is located on the fuel rail and requires the removal of the intake:

2.2L Engines
  1. Remove or disconnect the following:

• Negative battery cable and remove the air cleaner resonator.

• Three vacuum hoses from the throttle body

• Throttle cable support bracket and the throttle body assembly

• Upper fan shroud and disconnect the vacuum brake booster hose, if necessary

• Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) pipe-to-manifold bolts and the EGR pipe-to-EGR adapter bolt, and the EGR pipe.

• EGR adapter

• Idle Air Control (IAC) motor connector

• Idle Air Control (IAC) motor

• Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) sensor connector

• Throttle Position (TP) sensor connector

• Fuel injector harness connector

• Right fender wheelhouse extension

• Retainers from the engine harness bracket, the transmission filler tube (if equipped) and the fuel system evaporator pipe

• Fuel pipes from the fuel rail

• Accelerator cable and if equipped, the cruise control cable

• Spark plug wires from the plugs

• Spark plug wire harness retainer from the heater hose pipe and set aside the harness

• Alternator rear brace by accessing the retaining nuts and bolts through the wheelhouse, if necessary

• Engine wiring harness bracket located at the rear of the cylinder head (if necessary), by unfastening the bracket-to-valve cover and bracket-to-cylinder head retainers, then slide the bracket off the bolt at the rear of the cylinder head

• Intake manifold bolts

• Fuel rail bracket

• Intake manifold and gasket

Typical intake manifold mounting—2.2L engine shown

Click to Enlarge

To install:

1. Carefully remove all traces of gasket material from the mating surfaces. Check the EGR passage to be sure it is free of excessive carbon deposits and clean, as necessary.

2. Install or connect the following:

• Lower intake manifold using a new gasket, then tighten the retaining bolts to 17 ft. lbs. (24 Nm) using the sequence illustrated

Intake manifold bolt tightening sequence—2.2L engine

Click to Enlarge
    • Engine wiring harness bracket, if removed. Tighten the bracket-to-valve cover bolts to 88 inch lbs. (10 Nm) and the bracket-to-cylinder head bolt to 18 ft. lbs. (25 Nm).

• Generator rear brace, if removed. Tighten the nuts and bolts to 18 ft. lbs. (25 Nm).

• Spark plug wire harness and retainer and attach the spark plug wires to the plugs

• Throttle body assembly, if removed and the throttle cable support bracket

• Three vacuum lines to the throttle body

• Fuel lines

• Retainers to the engine harness bracket, the transmission filler tube (if equipped) and the fuel system evaporator pipe

• IAC motor connector

• MAP sensor connector

• TP sensor connector

• Fuel injector harness connector

• Wheelhouse extension

• EGR adapter and tighten the retainers to 97 inch lbs. (11 Nm)

• EGR pipe to the EGR adapter and tighten the bolt to 18 ft. lbs. (25 Nm)

• EGR pipe-to-intake manifold bolts and tighten the bolts to 89 inch lbs. (10 Nm)

• Upper fan shroud and the brake booster hose

• Air cleaner resonator and connect the negative battery cable.

3. Start the engine and check for leaks.

2.2L Engine
  1. Properly relieve the fuel system pressure.

2. Disconnect the negative battery cable.

3. Remove the pressure regulator vacuum hose.

4. Remove the pressure regulator attaching screw.

5. Remove the pressure regulator assembly and the O-ring. Discard the O-ring.

Fuel pressure regulator location on fuel rail assembly—2.2L engine

Click to Enlarge

To install:

1. Lubricate the new pressure regulator O-ring (3) with clean engine oil, then install the O-rings on the pressure regulator.

2. Install the pressure regulator assembly (2) onto the fuel rail (4).

3. Install the pressure regulator attaching screw (1) coated with an appropriate thread-locking material. Tighten the pressure regulator attaching screw to 106 inch lbs. (12 Nm).

4. Connect the negative battery cable.

5. Inspect for fuel leaks.

6. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF for 2 seconds.

7. Turn OFF the ignition for 10 seconds.

8. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.

9. Inspect for fuel leaks.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
why are you showing me two options,I don't believe I have vac hose or separate reg mounted on rail.
Expert:  Eric replied 3 years ago.

I am not showing you two options. The first set of directions is to remove the intake manifold to access the regulator. The second set of directions is to remove the regulator.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
well then something is are not right .My rail is straight with the four injectors and pressure tap at rear,no regulator on it and no vacumn line.Any varibles with this engine ?
Expert:  Eric replied 3 years ago.
HI,

let me check. can you post your VIN code for me and I will look it up that way
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
1GCCS14H138251306---I feel pretty supid right now I believed that comes out to a 2003 year.Hope this helps
Expert:  Eric replied 3 years ago.

yes, its a 2003. I only have info on the fuel pressure regulator for the 2002. Let me opt out and get another expert in on this.

please dont respond to this reply or it locks another expert from helping
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
<p>2003 s10 2.2eng (no start ) fuel pressure drops from 50 t0 0 with ing.cycle,want to replace fuel pressure regulator (where and how?is it part of rail,in fuel filter or fuel pump assy?    PLEASE HELP NOW</p><p> </p>