Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

Chevrolet Geo Metro how to replace clutch in my 1998 geo- 1

how to replace clutch in my 1998 geo-?1 litre engine
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 3 years ago.

hi

this should help you,,this will take about 5.9 hrs

thanks

Please ACCEPT my answer so I can get credit for my work.i don't receive commission unless you do ..I'm not always going to be giving you good news,so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer.it does not cost you more money.we will still be able to communicate.. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated!if you are not satisfied with my answer,please do not leave bad feed back,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question.if i have sent any diagrams,please print them.they will only stay on here for an hour or so.PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP

GM Metro/Sprint 1985-1993

Clutch Disc and Clutch Cover

• REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

See Figure 1

FIG : Fig. 1: Clutch disc and clutch cover assembly image

1. Remove the transaxle.
  2. Install pilot tool J-34860 for Sprint or J-37761 for Metro into the pilot bearing to support the clutch assembly.
  3. Matchmark the clutch cover and flywheel for installation reference.
  4. Loosen the clutch cover-to-flywheel bolts, one turn at a time (evenly) until the spring pressure is released.
  5. Remove the clutch disc and clutch cover.

To install:

1. Clean the flywheel mating surfaces of all oil, grease and metal deposits. Inspect flywheel for cracks, heat checking or other defects and replace or resurface as necessary.
  2. Check the wear on the facings of the clutch disc by measuring the depth of each rivet head depression. Replace clutch disc when rivet heads are 0.02 in. below surface of clutch surface.
  3. Check diaphragm spring and pressure plate for wear or damage. If the spring or plate is excessively worn, replace the clutch cover assembly.
  4. Check the pilot bearing for smooth operation. If the bearing does not spin freely, replace it.
  5. Position the clutch disc and clutch cover with the matchmarks aligned and support with pilot tool.
  6. Install the clutch cover bolts and tighten evenly to 18 ft. lbs. (23 Nm). Remove the pilot tool.
  7. Lightly lubricate the splines, pilot bearing surface of the input shaft and release bearing with grease.
  8. Install the transaxle.
  9. Adjust the clutch cable.

Transaxle

• REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable and the ground strap at the transaxle.
  2. Remove the clutch cable adjusting nuts, retaining clip from the cable and cable from the bracket.
  3. Disconnect and tag all the wiring harness clamps and connectors involved with the transaxle removal.
  4. Remove the speedometer cable boot, speedometer case clip and speedometer cable from the case.
  5. Remove the transaxle retaining bolts.
  6. Remove the starter assembly and starter motor plate.
  7. Remove the vacuum hose from the pressure sensor.
  8. Install the engine support to prevent the engine from lowering excessively.
  9. Raise and support the vehicle safely. Drain the transaxle oil.
  10. Remove the gear shaft control shaft bolt and nut and detach the control shaft from the gear shift shaft.
  11. Extension rod nut and remove the rod with washers.
  12. Remove the exhaust pipe front and rear flange bolts.
  13. Remove the clutch housing lower plate.
  14. Remove the left front wheel.
  15. Remove the left tie rod end.
  16. Remove the left ball joint by removing the joint stud bolt.
  17. Remove both halfshafts at the transaxle.
  18. Support the transaxle with a suitable jack and remove the transaxle retaining bolts and nuts.
  19. Remove the 2 rear engine mounting bolts.
  20. Remove the 3 bolts and 2 nuts from the transaxle mounting left hand bracket, remove the left hand bracket.
  21. Lower the transaxle with the engine attached in order to detach it from the stud bolt at the engine rear mounting portion. Pull the transaxle straight out toward the left side to disconnect the input shaft from the clutch cover, lower and remove the transaxle assembly.

To install:

1. While the transaxle is being raised into its correct position, install the right hand halfshaft into the differential.
  2. Install the transaxle along with the transaxle to engine nuts and bolts. Install the left hand bracket with its 3 bolts and 2 nuts. Torque them to 37 ft. lbs. (50 Nm).
  3. Install the 2 rear engine mounting nuts and torque them to 37 ft. lbs. (50 Nm).
  4. Lower the transaxle supporting jack. Torque the transaxle to engine bolt and nut to 37 ft. lbs. (50 Nm).
  5. Install the left hand halfshaft to the transaxle. Be sure to push each driveaxle in fully to engage the snaprings with the differential gear.
  6. Install the left ball joint and ball joint stud bolt. Torque the ball joint bolt and nut to 44 ft. lbs. (60 Nm).
  7. Install the left tie rod end, castle nut and cotter pin. Torque the castle nut to 32 ft. lbs. (43 Nm).
  8. Install the left front wheel.
  9. Install the clutch housing lower plate.
  10. Install the exhaust pipe front and rear flange nuts.
  11. Install the extension rod nut and washers. Torque the rod nut to 24 ft. lbs. (33 Nm).
  12. Install the control shaft to gear shift and install the gear shift control shaft bolt and nut. Torque the gear shift control shaft bolt and nut to 13 ft. lbs. (18 Nm).
  13. Refill the transaxle with the recommended lubricant.
  14. Lower the vehicle.
  15. Remove the engine support fixture.
  16. Install the vacuum hose to the pressure sensor.
  17. Install the starter, starter motor plate and 2 bolts.
  18. Install the transaxle retaining bolts. Torque the retaining bolts to 37 ft. lbs. (50 Nm).
  19. Install the speedometer cable to case, speedometer case clip and speedometer cable boot.
  20. Install the clutch cable bracket, retaining clip to cable and clutch cable adjusting nut. Adjust the clutch free-play as necessary.
  21. Install the negative battery cable and the ground strap to the transaxle.

Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience: Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.