AMEDEE
AMEDEE, CHEVY TECHNICIAN
Experience:  ASE certified tech ADVANCED LEVEL SPECIALIST. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

Chevrolet Impala 2003 Impala wont start or crank over at

Customer Question

2003 Impala won't start or crank over at times. Replaced the starter... New battery...switched the ignation and A/C relay...it will start after it sits for a while. Sometimes a few minutes and sometimes it takes several hours.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 6 years ago.
Hello!

There are a few possibilities here that it could be. We are going to need to run a few tests to see what is going on. Don't worry... these tests are really easy! I can walk you through this diagnoses.

The first thing we need to do it check the battery with a voltmeter. A fully charged battery must have enough cranking capacity to provide the starter motor and ignition system with enough power to start the engine over a broad range of ambient temperatures. Even if its charged, it could still be bad causing a no crank condition! I would rec to get it load tested at a shop or at a battery store. A battery load test will verify the actual cranking capability of the battery. This is the best test. Or you can take a voltmeter and put it on the battery and crank the engine over. (Be sure the battery has a full charge on it.) If the volts drop below 9.6, the battery is bad and needs to be replaced! Just be sure all cable connections are clean and tight. Not only at the battery, but on the starter, engine and frame! Positive side as well as the negative side.

If all checks out, make sure that you have battery voltage on both terminals of the starter when cranking. If full battery voltage (12.6 volts) is present and the starter is not working, then the starter is bad and will need to be replaced! Just be sure all fuses small regular and large size fuses are good under the hood, as well as inside the vehicle

The only other things left would be a bad neutral position switch, bad ignition switch or a wiring or connector problem.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have done all of that.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 6 years ago.
Hello!

Do you know if the starter is getting battery voltage on both terminals with the key in the crank position when it is not starting?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I the starter replaced by a auto tech., and the nuteral safety switch isn't the problem.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 6 years ago.
I know... I am asking if the starter is getting a signal to "turn on" when your engine is not starting?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I don't know. Every time that I have had a tech check the starter circuit it started.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 6 years ago.
Ok.. well, this is going to be the next step. We need to see if the starter is getting a signal to crank when the starter is not engaging. From there, we will know which direction to go in.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
If the started never turned over a voltage test would be OK, but every time I have called a person to repair my car the starter never failed.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 6 years ago.
YEah.. I hear ya! Intermittently problems can be hard to diagnose.

You could have a bad connection open in one of the wires or even a bad engine ground. You will be able to figure out which one of these is the problem once you run the test and catch it when it is acting up.