Neal
Neal, Chevy Mechanic
Experience:  Shop Owner and Mechanic on multiple makes.
17294534

2008 Chevy Impala- LT Vin; ZG1WT55N189ZZ0597 DIC; P0411 Engine

2008 Chevy Impala- LT
Vin; ZG1WT55N189ZZ0597
DIC; P0411
Engine Light on.
After a reset, the engine light stays off for a couple of days, then back on.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Neal replied 3 years ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm here to help get your problem resolved. Please feel free to ask follow up questions, it is part of the process, thanks.

The most common cause for this code is the emissions air pump not operating but

this code can set for more than the pump not running. It could be a sensor issue that reads it, too high of pressure, just to name a few. It take a special scanner to run most of the checks below but this will give you an idea of what could be wrong.

Circuit/System Verification

1. Verify that DTC P0412, P0418, P2430-P2433, P2440, or P2444 are not set.
    If any of the DTCs are set, perform those diagnostics first.
  2. Ignition ON, command the AIR Pump Relay ON and OFF with a scan tool. The AIR pump should turn ON and OFF.
    If the AIR pump does not turn ON or OFF, refer to Secondary Air Injection Pump Malfunction
  3. Command the AIR Solenoid ON and OFF with a scan tool. The AIR solenoid valve should click with each command.
    If the AIR solenoid valve does operate as specified, refer to Secondary Air Injection Solenoid Valve Malfunction.
  4. Engine running, command the AIR Pump Relay ON with a scan tool while observing the AIR Pressure Sensor parameter. The reading should be 15-20 kPa above the BARO reading.
    If less than the specified range, refer to Secondary Air Injection System Pressure Low.
    If greater than the specified range, refer to Secondary Air Injection System Pressure High.
  5. Engine running, command the AIR System ON while observing the AIR Pressure Sensor parameter. The reading should be 7-10 kPa above BARO.
  6. Operate the vehicle within the Conditions for Running the DTC to verify the DTC does not reset. You may also operate the vehicle within the conditions that you observed from the Freeze Frame/Failure Records data.

Circuit/System Testing

Secondary Air Injection Pump Malfunction

1. Ignition OFF, disconnect the AIR pump relay.
  2. Ignition ON, verify that a test lamp does not illuminate between the controlled output circuit terminal 87 and ground.
    If the test lamp illuminates, test the controlled output circuit for a short to voltage.
  3. Verify that a test lamp illuminates between the AIR pump relay coil ignition circuit terminal 85 and ground.
    If the test lamp does not illuminate, test the ignition circuit for a short to ground or an open/high resistance. If the circuit tests normal and the ignition circuit fuse is open, replace the AIR pump relay and/or the AIR solenoid relay.
  4. Verify that a test lamp illuminates between the AIR pump relay switch B+ circuit terminal 30 and ground.
    If the test lamp does not illuminate, test the B+ circuit for a short to ground or an open/high resistance. If the circuit tests normal and the B+ circuit fuse is open, test the controlled output circuit for a short to ground.
  5. Ignition OFF, disconnect the harness connector at the AIR pump.
  6. Test for less than 2 ohms between the AIR pump ground circuit terminal B and ground.
    If greater than the specified range, test the ground circuit for an open/high resistance.
  7. Connect the harness connector at the AIR pump.
  8. Connect the J 36169-HD with a 60A fuse between the AIR pump relay switch B+ circuit terminal 30 and the controlled output circuit terminal 87. Verify the AIR pump is activated.
    If the AIR pump does not activate, test the controlled output circuit for an open/high resistance. If the circuit tests normal, test or replace the AIR pump.
  9. Remove the J 36169-HD jumper wire.
  10. Connect a test lamp between the AIR pump relay coil ignition circuit terminal 85 and the AIR pump relay control circuit terminal 86.
  11. Ignition ON, command the AIR Pump Relay ON and OFF with a scan tool. The test lamp should turn ON and OFF when changing between the commanded states.
    If the test lamp is always ON, test the AIR pump relay control circuit for a short to ground. If the circuit tests normal, replace the ECM.
    If the test lamp is always OFF, test the AIR pump relay control circuit for a short to voltage or an open/high resistance. If the circuit tests normal, replace the ECM.
  12. If all circuits test normal, replace the AIR pump relay.

Secondary Air Injection Solenoid Malfunction

1. Ignition OFF, disconnect the AIR solenoid relay.
  3. Verify that a test lamp illuminates between the AIR solenoid relay coil ignition circuit terminal 86 and ground.
    If the test lamp does not illuminate, test the ignition circuit for a short to ground or an open/high resistance. If the circuit tests normal and the ignition circuit fuse is open, replace the AIR solenoid relay and/or the AIR pump relay.
  4. Verify that a test lamp illuminates between the AIR solenoid relay switch B+ circuit terminal 30 and ground.
  5. Ignition OFF, disconnect the harness connector at the AIR solenoid.
  6. Test for less than 2 ohms between the AIR solenoid valve ground circuit terminal 4 and ground.
  7. Connect the harness connector at the secondary AIR solenoid.
  8. Connect a 15A fused jumper wire between the AIR solenoid relay switch B+ circuit terminal 30 and the controlled output circuit terminal 87. Verify the AIR solenoid valve is activated.
    If the AIR solenoid valve does not activate, test the controlled output circuit for an open/high resistance. If the circuit tests normal, test or replace the AIR solenoid.
  9. Remove the 15A fused jumper wire.
  10. Connect a test lamp between the AIR solenoid relay coil ignition circuit terminal 86 and the relay coil control circuit terminal 85.
  11. Ignition ON, command the AIR Solenoid ON and OFF with a scan tool. The test lamp should turn ON and OFF when changing between the commanded states.
    If the test lamp is always ON, test the control circuit for a short to ground. If the circuit tests normal, replace the ECM.
    If the test lamp is always OFF, test the control circuit for a short to voltage or an open/high resistance. If the circuit tests normal, replace the ECM.
  12. If all circuits test normal, replace the AIR solenoid relay.

Secondary Air Injection System Pressure Low

1. Engine running, inspect for exhaust leaks between the AIR solenoid valve and the catalytic converter.
    If an exhaust leak is detected, repair as necessary.
  2. Ignition OFF, disconnect the AIR pump relay.
  3. Engine running, connect the J 36169-HD with a 60A fuse between the AIR pump relay switch B+ circuit terminal 30 and the controlled output circuit terminal 87. Verify the AIR Pressure Sensor parameter is not 15-20 kPa above BARO.
    If 15-20 kPa above BARO, replace the AIR pump relay.
  4. Ignition OFF, remove the J 36169-HD jumper wire and connect the AIR pump relay.
  5. Remove the air inlet hose at the AIR pump.
  6. Engine running, command the AIR System ON while observing the AIR Pressure Sensor parameter. Verify the reading is not 7-10 kPa above BARO.
    If 7-10 kPa above BARO, the AIR pump inlet hose/pipe assembly is restricted. Remove the restriction or replace the hose/pipe assembly.
  7. Ignition OFF, disconnect the hose at the AIR pump outlet.
  8. Disconnect the hose at the AIR solenoid valve inlet.
  9. Install a length of standard 1 inch I.D. (25.4 mm) hose from the AIR pump outlet to the AIR solenoid valve inlet.
  10. Engine running, command the AIR System ON while observing the AIR Pressure Sensor parameter. Verify the reading is not 7-10 kPa above BARO.
    If 7-10 kPa above BARO, test/inspect AIR pump outlet hoses/pipes for leaks or restrictions.
  11. Test all AIR pump wiring and connections for less than 2 ohms. If the wiring and connections test normal and the hoses/pipes are OK, replace the AIR pump.

Secondary Air Injection System Pressure High

1. Ignition OFF, remove the AIR solenoid valve.
  2. Connect the AIR pump outlet pipe/hose at the AIR solenoid valve.
  3. Connect the AIR solenoid valve harness at the AIR solenoid valve.
  4. Engine running, command the AIR system ON while observing the AIR Pressure Sensor parameter. The reading should be less than 11 kPa above BARO.
    If greater than the specified value, replace the AIR solenoid valve.
  5. Inspect the AIR solenoid valve gaskets for proper alignment. If normal, test/inspect the AIR solenoid valve outlet pipe, exhaust manifold, and cylinder head for a restriction.

Neal, Chevy Mechanic
Experience: Shop Owner and Mechanic on multiple makes.