Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.

Chevy S10: wont start..crank..I turn the key security light comes

Chevy S10 pick up 1999 been trying for the last two days to get my truck started but won't start. engine will crank but after I turn the key security light comes on and engine will not start.

does the security light stay on or flash?,,when you turn the key to the on position?

please explain to me how it quit running

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I shut the engine off when I arrived. When i went to start it next time i wanted to leave security light flashed then went off. I turned the engine over after security light went out and security light came on and again started flashing.

lets give this a will take a little more than 30minutes

30 Minute Re-Learn Procedure

1. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
  2. Attempt to start the engine, then release the key to ON (vehicle will not start).
  3. Observe the SECURITY telltale,[this is the security light in the dash] after approximately 10 minutes the telltale will turn OFF.
  4. Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds .
  5. Repeat steps 1 through 4 two more times for a total of 3 cycles/30 minutes (the vehicle is now ready to relearn the Passlock(TM) Sensor Data Code and/or passwords on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK). IMPORTANT: The vehicle learns the Passlock(TM) Sensor Data Code and/or password XXXXX the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK. You must turn the ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle.
  6. Start the engine (the vehicle has now learned the Passlock(TM) Sensor Data Code and/or password).
  7. With a scan tool, clear any DTCs if needed (history DTCs will self clear after 100 ignition cycles).
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

not sure this will work as my key has no chip in it

this has nothing to do with a chip

give it a try..and let me know

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok battery died after first cycle (battery was really low anyway, have someone coming to help charge it) If this works how can i keep it from happening again or do i have to have something replaced if this works?

yes,you must have a good battery for this..

if this may have just been a fluke and may not happen again..but,sometimes a bad ignition switch will cause this

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok while this got the vehicle started it has happened two more times since. It is looking like something needs to be replaced what do I need to look at?

i would think that it may be a bad ignition switch

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

i was told it came in two parts the electronics part and the tumbler do i need to replace both or just the electrical part and how hard is it to replace?

i would need the electrical switch