John, Master A.S.E Automotive technician
Experience:  A.S.E MasterTechnician A1-A8 w/L1,38 years experience General Motors Master Technician

1995 chevy suburban: power loss..any vaccum leaks..good fuel pressure

i have power loss on a 1995 chevy suburban it also has a whisleing song when under a load i can not find any vaccum leaks it has good fuel pressure

Hello & Welcome to JA,

Your problem sounds like it could be a restricted exhaust caused by a faulty catalytic converter.. Take the converter off & drive it or test the exhaust back pressure at 0/2 port.Should no more than 1&1/2 psi pressure at 1800 rpm.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i did it did not help when i cut the old cat out so i had to weld in a new one with a new o2 sensor this did not help either
OK, what is th efuel pressure , key on--engine off
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
60 lbs
There is a possibility that the engine is operating properly & you have transmission problems.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
it seems to shift properly it just takes forever to get any speed it never used to be that way but my wife has been driving it now i neeed it to pull my boat
Well, I understand your problem , but if it won't pull the boat & engine is running properly, its the transmission.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
why would the trans keep it from getting the power to make it to shifting levels it just does not seem to the power to get up the rpms ,if i feather the pedal it goes faster than if i mash it is there a sensor on the throttle body that could be causeing this only under a load cause in park it reves up fine
Afaulty torque converter will cuse this.