kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech
Experience:  I HAVE OWNED MY OWN SHOP FOR OVER THREE YEARS. I HAVE THE TOOLS AND SOFTWARE TO ANSWERE ALMOST ANY Q
5629372

Chevrolet S10 4x2 2003 s-10 security light stays on and the

Customer Question

2003 s-10 security light stays on and the truck wont start
Category: Chevy
Expert:  kalamykid replied 3 years ago.

kalamykid :

there is a 30 minute relearn that has to be done to deactivate the anti theft system, here are the steps that you have to do. Make sure the battery is fully charged, if the battery voltage drops below 10.5 volts it willnot work.

kalamykid :

Full Size Image

Customer:

The light still is on and it wont start????I went threw everything step by step

kalamykid :

Did the security light go out after the 10 minute ait time with the key in the run position?

Customer:

no the light just stays on

kalamykid :

OD you have a digital volt meter and a test light ot do some testing on the system?

Customer:

yep i got a meter and a test light

kalamykid :

DO you have a column mounte ignition switch or a dash mounted?

kalamykid :

And I need to know what the 8th vin digit is please?

Customer:

column mounted....the 8th digit is a H

kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech
Experience: I HAVE OWNED MY OWN SHOP FOR OVER THREE YEARS. I HAVE THE TOOLS AND SOFTWARE TO ANSWERE ALMOST ANY Q
Expert:  kalamykid replied 3 years ago.
sOrry for the delay, I have been helping another customer with a wiring problem. Can you give me about 30 minutes to finish with him, and then I can devote my time to you so we can go over the system in your truck and see what is going on with it?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yep....thanks
Expert:  kalamykid replied 3 years ago.
Thank you so much, be right back with you.
Expert:  kalamykid replied 3 years ago.
Before we go any further can you pull the negative battery cable off of the battery for 10 minutes, and try the relearn one more time to see if the check engine light will go out after the 10 minutes are up? Make sure to turn the switch from off to start and back to the run position with out any pausing between the three steps or the relearn will not work. Also the battery must have a full charge, and not drop below 10.5 volts at any time, so it is best to have a battery charger connected set to a 10 amp charge.
Expert:  kalamykid replied 3 years ago.
Where you able to do the requested steps as posted before?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
the light went out then come right back on
Expert:  kalamykid replied 3 years ago.
How long did you leave the switch in the run position? Did you turn the switch off after the light went out, let it sit for 5 seconds and then right back to start, then to run and let it sit for another 10 minutes?
Expert:  kalamykid replied 3 years ago.
the light will come back on after each of the three times you let it sit after you hit the starter first, then it will go out after 10 minutes, then do the steps again for a total of three times, you can not pause between the steps at all, you must do them all in order or it will not work.