Hal, Chevy Master Tech
Experience:  ASE and Chevy Master , 31yr Dealership exp,

1980 chevrolet el camino: diagram..bearing..the steering column

Looking for a diagram showin how to change the bearing inside the steering column on a 1980 chevrolet el camino.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Hal replied 5 years ago.

Hi my name is XXXXX XXXXX Your complete satisfaction is my goal. Please provide as much information about your concern as you can

Is this a tilt column? or standard column? What bearing are you referring to? upper column or lower column?

What is the reason for replacement? column loose? or making noise?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
tilt. replacing upper and lower. bearings were shot. completely fallen apart.
Expert:  Hal replied 5 years ago.
Ok that is pretty straight forward. Do you need just a picture of a column ( exploded view) or do you need to know how it comes apart. There is a couple of special tools needed, one is a pivot pin puller. Do you have one of these tools??
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I would like to have a picture. Any advise not explained by the picture would be great. I've already bought the bearings and they came with some kind of tool. Don't know if thats what I need but I don't have any other special tools.
Expert:  Hal replied 5 years ago.

The tool I am talking about removes the pins #6 in the picture below. It threads into the pins and pulls them out. You may be able to make one by using a small bolt that will screw into the pin, a spacer to allow the pin to be pulled up and a washer and nut to pull the pin through the spacer.

Or you could use a small slide hammer with a screw that will slide into the pin.

A lock plate remover will also be needed to remove the steering lock plate clip.

A steering wheel puller will be needed to remove the steering wheel.

Here is the diagram. Look it over and let me know what you need explained.

The bearings will go into the housing #36

I will try to get you some pictures of the tools needed.

Expert:  Hal replied 5 years ago.

Here are the tools needed.

Steering wheel puller

Lock plate remover

Pivot pin puller